Author Topic: Can You Find The Parents of Ellen Kernan (Maiden Name: Donnelly)?  (Read 27862 times)

Offline LucasKernan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Research since 2019
    • View Profile
Re: Can You Find The Parents of Ellen Kernan (Maiden Name: Donnelly)?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 April 22 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks! Maybe I need A little more Information
Kernan, Matys, Müller, Werner

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 April 22 08:55 BST (UK) »
The problem is that you need more details to cross-check any possible birth records found in Ireland. Is there a marriage or death certificate which lists name of her parents?

Hi there,

I think if you answer Aghadowey's question you will go a long way towards making a break through in your quest.

JM (I am in NSW Australia, and like all of us,  we are volunteers.  Some members may have been busy with living family matters, particularly as Easter is this coming weekend.)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline LucasKernan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 April 22 11:03 BST (UK) »
I have Found A Newspaper about her death in New Jersey. It says that she had one Brother and one Sister living somewhere in Ireland (could be Northern Ireland).
Here is The NewsPaper:

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 April 22 11:09 BST (UK) »
That's good,

So perhaps you can use the info gleaned there in that obit to help you find her death certificate to see what is recorded on that official document about her origins.    As mentioned earlier, I am in NSW Australia, so I am familiar with what information is on NSW death certificates.  I have very little need to research in New Jersey USA, so I cannot comment on what to expect on a New Jersey death cert.

ADD, but perhaps the 1895 marriage cert in New Jersey would be a more reliable document, as it should contain in about Ellen that she herself provided.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline LucasKernan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 April 22 13:59 BST (UK) »
There is no background on Ellen Donnelly (Who Married William Kernan). It only Has there names listed and location of Marriage.

Thanks,
     Luke

Offline LucasKernan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 April 22 14:18 BST (UK) »
There is no background on Ellen Donnelly (Who Married William Kernan). It only Has there names listed and location of Marriage.

Thanks,
     Luke
I found out that her name 'Donnelly' is a Ulster Family Name. Here for More Information:
www.houseofnames.com/amp/donnelly-family-crest

※please help me find hers parents

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 April 22 15:30 BST (UK) »
There were 24 Ellen Donnelly registrations 1872/1873, if she was born at the end on 1872 it might have been registered early the following year. You can view the records on the site below, however the 24 were spread over the whole of Ireland, you would need to have some idea of where to look or go through them all. It is an easy site to view once you get used to it but it is free!

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

The US census taken after the partition of Ireland
William Kernan, 57, born Irish Free State
Ellen Kernan, 56, born Ireland North
Transcribed Hernan on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRCN-CV9

William Kernan, 68, born S Ireland
Ellen Kernan, 86(?), born N Ireland
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-899M-37D8

That narrows Ellen's county of birth to 6 of the 9 counties of the Province of Ulster which became the state of Northern Ireland a century ago.
 The counties are Antrim, Armagh, Derry/Londonderry, Fermanagh, Tyrone.
There were several registration districts in each county. Some registration districts crossed county boundaries.

SWilson Info is a useful website for identifying registration districts:
https://www.swilson.info/index.php
Select topic Registration District Map Browse from menu.
Select a county from alphabetical list and enter it in county box. This will bring up a list of registration districts in that county. Note down list of districts. Repeat for each of the 6 counties. There are between 5 and 10 registration districts per county. Some are in more than 1 county. The list of registration districts can then be used to decide which Ellen Donnelly birth registrations on the civil registrations website Irish Genealogy.ie are worth looking at.
Registration District Map Browse function can also be used to find lists of civil parishes, towns and townlands within each registration district. Click on name of a registration district for list of civil parishes in the district. Click on name of a civil parish for list of towns and townlands in the registration district.
SWilson Info has many uses for Irish family history research, particularly for identifying places. It's another free site.
I believe that the website owner is a volunteer on an Irish FH forum, giving his time & expertise free, like RootsChat members do on this site.  :) 
Cowban

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 April 22 15:56 BST (UK) »

The counties are Antrim, Armagh, Derry/Londonderry, Fermanagh, Tyrone.

Maiden Stone, you've forgotten Co Down!  ;)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 April 22 16:25 BST (UK) »
Looking at children’s names - any clues?

1910 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKBL-1BR
Bartholomew - (after William’s father?)
Mary E
William
Patrick
Hellen
Anna
Edward
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk