Author Topic: John Breen, senior, from Mount Unknown  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Breen, senior, from Mount Unknown
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 17:58 BST (UK) »
Surprisingly, the name of the witness, Daniel Maley, doesn't seem to be very common within Kerry.  And two men with it can be connected to Laharan.

One was born in Laharan in 1838, to father James.  Married a Mary Sullivan in 1871.  Seems to have lived in the part of Laharan called Caunovree, which I have associated with the Breens.

Another, with father Michael, and from Steelroe, married a Sughrue bride from Laharan in 1869.  He was born about 1845 (possibly way off) , but I can't find his birth record in the parish.

I wonder if it could be possible that they made up the locations.  Two together, with the witness having the same, seems curious.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 19:04 BST (UK) »
I think I found Ellen or Helen Breen's (b1844) death.

She died in 1920 in Laharan.  (Ellen Cahillane)

I guess I had that already somewhere, and forgot.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 19:09 BST (UK) »
The Breen/Maley address looks like Ballyclonan or Ballyclouan on the civil register but I suppose that was copied from elsewhere.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1872/11327/8157568.pdf
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 19:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, it definitely looks different.

Civil record seems to say that it is in Ballymacelligot, which must be where I got the idea that it was.

Offline mybreenhorganfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 April 22 22:55 BST (UK) »

Civil record seems to say that it is in Ballymacelligot, which must be where I got the idea that it was.

Yes I believe that the Townland is misspelled aswell, somehow be great figure out for sure if John and Mary had Michael and James Breen, to confirm it

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 April 22 23:13 BST (UK) »

Was thinking the Swinemount maybe the same place what was mentioned on the marriage certificate, and I see a John Breen in the Griifths Valuations as a John Breen in
Sliviegura, think that how you spell it, that another possibility, although found him also think 1835, Tithes same place, unless he was living in Laharan same time, think fairly unluckily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 April 22 23:32 BST (UK) »
The parish that the marriage took place in was Ballymacelligot.

But I have reason for supposing that junior was the John Breen born in 1849 to John Breen and Mary Sughrue in Laharan, Killorglin Parish.

One bit of interesting evidence is the third marriage entry on the page, that has a line written through it.  The groom of this marriage was called Daniel McCarthy.  His father Jeremiah was from Killorglin.  And one of the witnesses appears to be the same as in Junior's marriage.

What's more, there is a possibility that the name McCarthy was the maiden name of Senior's mother.

I believe Senior is the same man who died in Laharan, Killorglin in 1864, age 58.  That would mean he was born about 1805 or 1806.

There was a John Breen born in another parish Killeentierna (no townland given) in 1805.  His parents were named Denis Breen and Mary McCarthy.

I was hoping that this mountain clue might connect to the parish of Killeentierna.

Oh I just looked at Public family tree's on Ancestry found John Breen b 1805, Kerry, migrated to Africa had children, he died about 1882, thinking wondering if she has prof is the same John Breen, if is would not be ours see Denis Breen and a Mary McCarthy had a son Justin Brien, in Dronin, Killorglin, and another child think Dronin, from Church Records on Irish Genealogy

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 April 22 03:08 BST (UK) »
mybreenhorganfamily,

I hadn't noticed that there was a John Breen at Slievegaura.  According to logainm, it means "snowy mount."
https://www.logainm.ie/en/23427

Looking at Griffith's, it just seems to be land, not a house.  And possibly not very good land, as it seems to be marked "floods."  I would suppose that the townland was not the residence of John Breen who held the land, though I would not immediately guess he was the same man as lived at  Laharan and Knocknamucklagh.

Not sure what Catholic parish that would be.  Milltown?  I can't seem to find a similar listing in a church record, unless I'm not getting the church spelling right.

Regarding the John Breen born in Killeentierna in 1805:  I've changed my mind about it.  I wouldn't say it is impossible that it is the same man who later lived at Laharan, but it seems like there were quite a lot of John Breens in that area, and the birth year is only an estimate.

I think the Dronin family are Briens not Breens.  Though, it is hard to be sure.

Just to test the number of John Breens, if you search Firies Parish (not the same as Killeentierna but nearby), you'll see quite a lot who are born near to each other, though you need to search later years, as they don't go back as far as the records for Killeentierna or Killorglin do.

Right now, I would mainly consider two or three possibilities.  All guesses as to where John Breen was born.  Laharan.  Knocknamucklagh, or Keelties (which is next to Knocknamucklagh.)