Author Topic: Mother in Law's relatives  (Read 746 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mother in Law's relatives
« on: Thursday 07 April 22 22:06 BST (UK) »
I've got a whole pile of scanned photos to sort through and repair and wondered if you could help me out by restoring this one, please

Just black and white or toned.

Thanks.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mother in Law's relatives
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 22 10:34 BST (UK) »
blemishes cloned over, levelled and cropped.
Feel free to colour or tone it, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 22 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ian. Enjoy your football  ;D

I'm full of analogies this morning but I've got to go, Walking Football this morning, must dash, cheers, Ian

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 22 11:14 BST (UK) »

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 April 22 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Japeflakes. A great improvment  :)

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 April 22 17:40 BST (UK) »
My try (keeping my hand in  :)). Far from perfect but better than the original, I hope. I tried to balance the difference between underexposure (left) and overexposure (right). I also tried out 2 Topaz "AI" tools (Noise reduction and Sharpening) for the first time in restoration.  I'd welcome any comments on the effects of these (unnecessary? useful? too much?)
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 22 20:27 BST (UK) »
No matter how much I twiddled with any tools I couldn't make out if the man is standing behind a wall on which the children are standing, or he is crouching with his left knee partly obscuring the girl's knee and top of shin, or is he sitting on a toadstool.   Anyhow, the girl looks unhappy to me, I was tempted to give her a smile or a smirk, glad I didn't though, didn't want to risk incurring the 'Wrath of Gadget'.
Unless the surrounds and background add character to the photo I concentrate on their faces, then their limbs and hands and hair and don't spend much time on the clothing, and I probably crop too much, but I find the Levels & Curves tools work better with just the people.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 April 22 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Tony. Much improved. It's very clear.  I've noticed you popping in every so often :)

Re Topaz - I've had the original set of Topaz filters for about 6 years but I wasn't impressed with them. I now only use the Adjust AI filter's tonal collections. Also, I have PSCC for my main app and they're not totally compatible. I still use some of the old Nik collection filters - mainly Viveza and Silver effects. Adobe Camera Raw also gives various options to reduce noise, sharpening, etc.

Topaz keep e-mailing me to offer free trials of the latest AI offerings but I've not taken them up.

Thanks again  :)

Gadget

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 April 22 00:27 BST (UK) »
Here is one from me. I'm afraid I cannot compete with other restorers as I do not use any special tools or filters, just my good old Adobe photo deluxe 4. I am getting too old now to change the way I restore photos but am happy to be able to produce a reasonable result. I had my 86th birthday a couple of days ago.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU