Author Topic: Ascertaining which of several WW1 men with the same name is correct.  (Read 1077 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ascertaining which of several WW1 men with the same name is correct.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 April 22 00:13 BST (UK) »
There was a 3yr gap between their first & second child Dec qtr 1911 & Dec qtr 1914.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 April 22 06:48 BST (UK) »
I would try the electoral registers for 1918 & 1919 they will indicate if he was serving in the forces & some can give you number & regiment.

Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 April 22 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hillhurst suggested in post post #4 to look at pension records. I have checked pension records but have to say that there isn't a Frederick George Turney. All cards with the name Frederick Turney have a second given name (no George) - there is only one named 'just' Frederick Turney but unfortunately there isn't an address shown. (this man was in the Labour Corps)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 April 22 20:19 BST (UK) »

Have a look at local newspapers as well.  I found more information about one of my chaps in the paper than from his records which were incomplete.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 April 22 22:14 BST (UK) »
I would try the electoral registers for 1918 & 1919 they will indicate if he was serving in the forces & some can give you number & regiment.

Thanks for the suggestion. He is on the London ER at expected address, with his wife, for 1915, 1918 and 1920. No clues about whether he is serving in the forces such as number or regiment on those indexes though.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 April 22 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hillhurst suggested in post post #4 to look at pension records. I have checked pension records but have to say that there isn't a Frederick George Turney. All cards with the name Frederick Turney have a second given name (no George) - there is only one named 'just' Frederick Turney but unfortunately there isn't an address shown. (this man was in the Labour Corps)

Thank you Allan, that was very kind of you and saved me a job. Shame it wasn't more fruitful!

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 April 22 22:15 BST (UK) »
Nic - see my Reply #4

Try also this man:

Frederick Turney
Labour Corps

You'll probably find these records on FindMyPast.

Thanks very much for this and your previous post too. Update below

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 April 22 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for suggestions and help so far.

Here is where I have got to using Anc, FindMyPast, F/S and TNA:

All Frederick TURNEY from WW1 records... # refers to their reg / service number:

#015193 - Army Ordance Corps - found a record which he signs FW Turney and medals roll says it's Frederick Walter. Mine is defo middle name George. Ruled out.

#306446 /746 - This is a Frederick W Turney . Ruled out

# 142053 - Army Service Corps - 728 Labour Company - Next of kin record I found is incorrect woman and incorrect location. Ruled out.

# 2139 / 265549 - KIA. Ruled out.

# 10448 - middle name is an E. and he died. Ruled out.

# 57754.  Full name is George Stanley Frederick Turney. Ruled out.

# 78588. RFA. Gunner.  This man's name was Frederick James Turney which would rule him out.
BUT there appear to be two Frederick Turneys in the RFA though at the same time - there are separate records for them for the 1914-15 Star; this one is a gunner but the one below is a driver.

The following are possibles that I now need help to narrow down please if anyone can help:

# 49698 - Private Frederick TURNEY. Royal Fusileers.
Victory medal: TP/104B14 p1683.

# 5L/7228 and L/176919 and SL/7228 and L/2707. Private. Middlesex Regiment, 5th Lancers.
TNA record states Fred Turney O.B.E.  RAOC, Theatre of war dates noted Oct 1914 and Sep 1915.

# 9335  - Frederick TURNEY of the Royal Field Artillery (RFA). On record set Britain, Campaign/Gallantry + long service (FindMyPast) it states 1940-20. Rank: driver. Bombardier.
Victory medal ref RFA: 119B/p3740.
British star ref: RFA/1 p1029
Can anyone help me to know whether this man - a driver with the RFA is separate to the gunner with the RFA shown above is my discounted? If it's the same man then I need to discount him but Anc are showing two 1914-15 Star records for separate people but that seems highly unlikely that there would be two Frederick Turneys in the same regiment at the same time??

Your continued help and ideas are much appreciated.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 April 22 23:42 BST (UK) »
He is on the London ER at expected address, with his wife, for 1915, 1918 and 1920.

They are at 34 Stokenchurch Street, Fulham, in 1918. Frederick George Turney is not an absent voter, so he wasn't in the forces then.
Though that doesn't mean that he hadn't been serving at some time during the war, but he wasn't at the end of it.
He is not in the silver war badge lists.
If he had been in the army, but didn't serve abroad, then he would not be entitled to any medals.

That 1919 birth in March quarter was in Norfolk, and the 1921 census index says son Edward, 2, was born in East Dereham, Norfolk (as was wife Alice). They are at 20 Stanhope Mews East, Kensington, as per 1921 ER.
Frederick still seems to be a chauffeur in 1921? He comes up with it spelt chaffeur!