Author Topic: Traveller Heritage?  (Read 7743 times)

Offline tonymc06

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller Heritage?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 April 22 19:57 BST (UK) »
Millipede,

That was my parents marriage that you found.

My father died 2 years ago.

As for my mother, I do not have a clue. I lost contact with her over 20 years ago.

Offline tonymc06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 16:39 BST (UK) »
First off; many thanks for all who have contributed to my questions.

So. I have also done a DNA ancestry test a few years ago and sent my results over a few other test providers.

One of them flagged up a Chapman and we got talking online. We discussed Mitchum amongst other things and are 100% that we are closely related - he comes up as a 2nd cousin.

I had a light-bulb moment today and had another look at our old messages.

He mentions the names; James, Cornelius and Albert are known names. He also mentioned the middle name Fenner. So we must be on the right track.

Does anyone know from what they found; if Cornelius had any brothers?

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:29 BST (UK) »
I would add the origin of the name Chapman was a pedaller
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline moondance2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 May 22 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I am doing research for something and happened across your post and joined this forum specifically to answer - because I have just read a book about the Pratley family of Oxfordshire! The book is called "Traveller's Tale: The Making of a Fairground Showman" and is the biography of Walter Edward Reginald Pratley, known as Reg, who was born in 1895 and died in 1939. He wasn't born into the Fairground community, he joined it. The author of the book is David Slattery-Christy (Reg's grandson) and there are several family trees at the back. I couldn't find a Pratley born in 1955 because the trees are mainly concerned with the late 19th century and early 20th century, but you may well find clues in the book and in the family trees! The Pratley family came from Appleton and you can find some of them buried in the churchyard of St Lawrence's church there.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 May 22 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I just looked at the index to "Fairground Destiny The Story of the ROWLAND family" by Frances Brown and there are two CHAPMAN entries:

from a report in World's Fair about Tavistock Goose Fair in 1924 - G. Chapman's chair-o-planes and swing boats by D. Chapman and W. CRIBB.

The other entry, for 1930, relates ".. also David Chapman whose games and swings are to be seen at every do"  trying their fortunes in Cornwall this Easter

The National Fairground Archive https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/nfca have copies of World's Fair so might be worth looking there for info about these Chapmans if they fit into your family.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline tonymc06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 May 22 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Moondance

Are you connected to this family?

Thank you for the info. I have made contact with the author, who apparently is my second cousin.

He says that their heritage is traveller but, as you say, the man in the book joined the fairground.

I have ordered the book. Looking forward to reading it.

Kind regards

Hi Tony

I am doing research for something and happened across your post and joined this forum specifically to answer - because I have just read a book about the Pratley family of Oxfordshire! The book is called "Traveller's Tale: The Making of a Fairground Showman" and is the biography of Walter Edward Reginald Pratley, known as Reg, who was born in 1895 and died in 1939. He wasn't born into the Fairground community, he joined it. The author of the book is David Slattery-Christy (Reg's grandson) and there are several family trees at the back. I couldn't find a Pratley born in 1955 because the trees are mainly concerned with the late 19th century and early 20th century, but you may well find clues in the book and in the family trees! The Pratley family came from Appleton and you can find some of them buried in the churchyard of St Lawrence's church there.

Offline moondance2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 May 22 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony - no, not at all (though coincidentally I did grow up in Appleton in the 80s and 90s). I'm writing a fiction book for children and am including a Fairground Traveller character, so I'm just reading lots of books connected with them and their history. How fantastic that you've found a second cousin!! I'm so pleased  :)

Offline tonymc06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Moondance

I have popped into Appleton this evening and had a mooch around the graveyard.

This is all thanks to you. I have also purchased the book - will start on it tonight.

Kindest regards

Hi Tony - no, not at all (though coincidentally I did grow up in Appleton in the 80s and 90s). I'm writing a fiction book for children and am including a Fairground Traveller character, so I'm just reading lots of books connected with them and their history. How fantastic that you've found a second cousin!! I'm so pleased  :)

Offline moondance2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 08:00 BST (UK) »
I'm thrilled, Tony - what a happy coincidence that I could help!