Author Topic: Argyll Archives  (Read 16808 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll Archives
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 October 07 01:01 BST (UK) »
I stopped in at the Archives in July and there was an archivist who replaced Murdo. They have some good estate records there that helped me out with families in North Knapdale.  Lochgilphead has bus service from Glasgow on the route to Campbellton, and is a nice compact little town. Another good place to try in Glasgow is the Mitchell Library.

The council offices are just outside the town, for anyone going by bus.

By the way, there is an interesting old burial ground near the council offices at Kilmory Castle.  It is not very obvious and not marked on the 1:50000 map but is at NR 865 864.

I would recommend the Grey Gull hotel in Ardrishaig to anyone going there.   Cancel that, it has changed hands and seems to have got more expensive.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Puck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 January 08 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Just as a general post of information.  I have contacted the Archives with a query dating back to 1890 and I have had an answer by e mail from a lady called Marina who has taken the time to find out and give me information on Patrick Ryaan telling me that he was buried on 12th May 1890 in Kilkerran Cemetary giving me the plot number and the name of the person who owned the plot being one Archie Johnstone of the Royal Hotel.  Patrick Ryan was a Battery Sergeant Major with the Garrison Royal Artillery Southern Divison.  An Irish man in Scotland.

This information received was more than adequate from the questions I asked and extremely helpful, it came within a couple of days.  I still have more information to find, but can certainly recommend this route.

Puck

Offline rosson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 September 08 08:27 BST (UK) »
Went to Archives in Lochgilphead in August this year. Lady in charge also works p/t for housing,(its in housing office) she was nice but inexperienced. Very cramped room with stuff all over the place.
Urgent need for these precious archives to be better organized.
 :'(
rosson,mcdougall,mclullich,carragher,oakes,hughes,mcdermott,quigg,curran,hope,hazle,

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 September 08 09:01 BST (UK) »
Went to Archives in Lochgilphead in August this year. Lady in charge also works p/t for housing,(its in housing office) she was nice but inexperienced. Very cramped room with stuff all over the place.
Urgent need for these precious archives to be better organized.
 :'(

It is quite sad that Highland Council is putting a lot of money and effort into their archives but Argyll & Bute seem to be going backwards.

Martin Briscoe
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 September 08 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

A question. Would it be the Lochgilphead Archives I'd need to contact for Strathlachlan's OPRs?

The surnames I'm looking for are McKellar and McFarlane (both of which are plentiful in Argyllshire around the early 1800s). I just want to make sure this is the place before I try and do any more.

I have records from Scotland's People but am now at stage I need some more local info to try and tie these folks together due to the 'popularity' of the two surnames.

Thanks

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 November 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A question. Would it be the Lochgilphead Archives I'd need to contact for Strathlachlan's OPRs?

The surnames I'm looking for are McKellar and McFarlane (both of which are plentiful in Argyllshire around the early 1800s). I just want to make sure this is the place before I try and do any more.

I have records from Scotland's People but am now at stage I need some more local info to try and tie these folks together due to the 'popularity' of the two surnames.

Thanks

Ann

I don't know if they are kept by the local archive or somewhere like the National Archive of Scotland.  Try sending an EMail, even if they don't hold them, they might know where to look.

The archive catalogues are online at Scottish Archive Network.

MB

Sorry thought it was a new question, did not realise that just been split!
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Martin

Tried locals - not even a whisper of a reply by email. Did ring a few times and no reply but could have been lunch/break whatever.

Given up for now! Will be up that way in spring all being well and go in person. Least if they're not in is a nice drive!

Not sure why topic split exactly but am sure Bob has his reasons.

Anyway thanks for your reply Martin!

Best Wishes

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-