Author Topic: WORD Doc saved as HTML  (Read 429 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
WORD Doc saved as HTML
« on: Sunday 10 April 22 05:00 BST (UK) »
If you save a Word Doc as a Html file to display in a web browser it puts an inordinate amount of formatting in there to display it in a certain way.

Does anyone know the easiest way to strip all that formatting out so the doc can then be formatted by CSS to match the other existing docs in the webpages.

Could do it manually but it takes a while.

Thanks.
Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WORD Doc saved as HTML
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 22 05:40 BST (UK) »
I use Dreamweaver to do that, but there are a number of similar programs that will do the same including free alternatives to Dreamweaver
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 22 05:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guy.

I was hoping for the free alternatives.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 22 09:23 BST (UK) »
When I first tried the "Save as HTML", I realised that virtually all of the output was to do with reproducing the formatting which would be seen on a piece of paper.

This is hardly ever what you would like on a website. It takes no heed of the width of the window, for a start.

It's also virtually unmaintainable, because the real stuff is obfuscated by all that formatting.

It is the old story - if you want to get there, I wouldn't start from here.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 22 21:52 BST (UK) »
Saving from Word as "Web Page, Filtered" may be one step closer to what you need, but perhaps not close enough.

This article appears to be updated recently and lists some free options. https://www.timeatlas.com/convert-word-to-html/

It doesn't specifically list free html editors or CMS though and 'fraid I don't have direct experience of converting from word.