Author Topic: Margaret Alice HOWARTH or Alice Margaret Howarth  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Alice HOWARTH or Alice Margaret Howarth
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 06:15 BST (UK) »
Alice HOWARTH (later SMALL)  :

My transcription >

Baptism - ENG - West Yorkshire - Shelf, St Michael's and All Angels :

HOWARTH - Alice
- born 9 September 1857   --  Baptised :  11 October  1857

Child of*  -   Elizabeth - a spinster - residing at Shelf.

[*   Note :  This record originally had  - child of  "Joseph & Elizabeth"  -- but "Joseph  &" had been struck through and the word "spinster" added in the occupation column for Elizabeth.  ]

Glenda ... you will notice too that the date of birth and baptism are the same as what is written on the Lumsden cemetery record for Alice SMALL -  except birthplace (I think) is given as Bury, Lancs.
Another thing with these Cemetery records at Finda-grave and the like, they rely on contributors to post information, but it is never verified.   User caution advised !! 

~   Lu                                             more to come in following posts  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 06:42 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth BARNETT (nee H0WARTH)

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OW19040427.2.129.4

Obituary for Mrs BARNETT -  see last paragraph in column.

... widow of Mr C. BARNETT     
     ...  She died at the residence of her son-in-law, Mr A. SMALL [this is Andrew SMALL who married Alice HOWARTH (the younger) in  July 1874.

~  Lu                              still more to come >  (after dinner it will be  ;D)   >

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 09:28 BST (UK) »
I think you are waiting to receive records for these two births, and death, 1885 for baby Annie?

NZ BDM birth
1885/9308   HOWARTH   Annie         ps. Margaret Alice /NR
1887/11265   HOWARTH Albert Hector   ps. Margaret Alice /NR

NZ BDM death
1885/3032   HOWARTH   Annie           49D
1891/5955   HOWARTH   Alice Margaret   24Y

Do you have the printout for these two events -

marriage
1914/8539   Sophia Louisa   COOPER  marr.   Hector Albert   HOWARTH

death
1947/21101   HOWARTH   Albert Hector   59Y

Using Ancestry - All New Zealand, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920
shows several HOWARTHs with birthplace Lancashire.
That might encourage you to hope that Margaret Alice has relatives in New Zealand.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 09:39 BST (UK) »

https://heritage.christchurchcitylibraries.com/Cemeteries/

Alice Margaret HOWARTH
Buried at Linwood Cemetery  Block 23A plot 78

Only burial in this plot. You might expect that Alice would be in a ...what?....common grave?

Who arranged for the burial...and paid for the plot?

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu,
The person I'm trying to work through this tangled history for is a descendant of Albert Hector - one of his grandsons. He said he'd just like to know who Margaret Alice was and where she came from. His partner doesn't understand why he can't accept the 14 trees on Ancestry and perhaps they'll turn out to be correct, but until I can draw a line under it and mark it as closed, I'll get plodding along.

Wivenhoe, I wondered about the plot where Margaret is buried. According to the old plans of the cemetery that area is marked a "Free Anglicans" and I'm not entirely sure what they were, although it might have something to do with those who followed church doctrine closely and those who had strayed from the path but were considered Anglicans all the same. The Canterbury Women's Refuge was partly administered by the C of E, and perhaps Margaret was known to them.

Lu, are we wrong in querying who might have arranged the burial and paid for the plot?
Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 09:59 BST (UK) »
Yes shanreagh ... I have explored lots of avenues connected to this HOWARTH family (per "Dunfillan") ... and yes, I do have further information for Elizabeth and Alice.   
As I said ... will add it here shortly (but given the effort I've put in so far, will be peeved if someone else decides they're gonna post it .   ;) )

~  Lu

Sorry I did not realise that this family (Elizabeth) was the one you were meaning.....my emphasis was on Elizabeth as a way in .....

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 10:45 BST (UK) »
I am not sure where to look but are there school rolls that might give a clue on the whereabouts of Albert Hector after his mother died.  Some how between then and 1908 he has got himself to the Ohinemuri/Matamata/Piako area where he seems to have stayed until his death in 1947.  In 1908 he was in the Selwyn Electorate. 

Glendan has the Howarth descendant you are enquiring for thought of having a DNA test? 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenda

The Free plot (Anglican ) - "free ground"  is also another term used - refers to plots set aside by the different religious denominations, for paupers or persons without family, etc.

Added:  Sorry, you also asked about who would arrange a funeral of a person who had no family.   I would think the "Church" (any of the denominations) would step in to  take care of this,  (or some charity organisation perhaps).   

~  Lu

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 10:52 BST (UK) »

Wivenhoe, I wondered about the plot where Margaret is buried. According to the old plans of the cemetery that area is marked a "Free Anglicans" and I'm not entirely sure what they were, although it might have something to do with those who followed church doctrine closely and those who had strayed from the path but were considered Anglicans all the same. The Canterbury Women's Refuge was partly administered by the C of E, and perhaps Margaret was known to them.

Lu, are we wrong in querying who might have arranged the burial and paid for the plot?

My understanding is that you could purchase a plot in the part of the cemetery you 'belonged' to.  So a plot could be paid for by Joe Brown, Anglican for himself and family.  Joe Brown's poor niece also an Anglican could also be buried in an Anglican plot in an area set aside for Anglican burials.

I think the Margaret Alice/Alice Margaret Howarth  being an Anglican or known to Anglicans may have been buried in this part of the cemetery with fellow Anglicans.