Author Topic: 1776 Bapt record - Witness 'Dean of the Gild in Selkirk' - John ANDISON  (Read 706 times)

Offline Foreversearchingforanswer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1776 Bapt record - Witness 'Dean of the Gild in Selkirk' - John ANDISON
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 20:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, a lot if the bmds in Yarrow have it as Andison. Act was commited in July 1798 (doesn't say where exactly, some of them do).  Her brother, my 4th great grandfather,  married a woman with a "bastard" child as the kirk called the kid, and was paid by Traquair Kirk to look after the child. Who financed this one I don't know, as she moved back to Yarrowford by 1811 and was married there. Don't know if this one survived.
I saw another for this womans aunt whos illigitmate child was baptised under the fathers name at Yarrow the year it was born. Most weren't baptised, or I can't find records for them.

If I remember correctly John Anderson became a magistrate.

Offline Foreversearchingforanswer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1776 Bapt record - Witness 'Dean of the Gild in Selkirk' - John ANDISON
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 22 18:05 BST (UK) »
Selkirk 12th May 1799 session met and constituted by prayer conpeared Joan Brunton indweller in Selkirk voluntarily who confessed she was with child by fornication and being exhorted to glorify god in declaring the truth as to the man with whom the guilt was contracted gave John Anderson present DG (Dean of Guild) of the Burgh of Selkirk for the father of her child adding further that the guilt was contracted sometime on the month of July last, the session taking this declaration to their most serious consideration delay further any  ? in this matter until the said John Anderson appeared before them

Session met and constitute by prayer compeared John Andison present Dean of Guild who being rebuked for the sin of fornication with Joan Brunton of which he had been guilty was in consequence of his paying 2 pounds 2 shillings ?? of the poor exorted to a suitable behaviour in time coming and respond to church ? session closed with prayer

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/virtual-volumes/volume-images?image=00052&source=way-pointing&page-number=52&volume=CH2/1380/30&volume_info=Selkirk%20kirk%20session&volume_short_desc=Minutes%20%281776-1835%29&record_id=7392&rex_uid=REX01047&related_places=GAZ00973&placename=Selkirk