Author Topic: 1776 Bapt record - Witness 'Dean of the Gild in Selkirk' - John ANDISON  (Read 701 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
From Scotland's People I have what might be, the Baptism of my husband's 4th GGF, John Anderson 1776-1849, Selkirk.

The record reads:
George Anderson Baker and Agnes Henderson his spouse had a child baptised - John on 5 March 1776 - Basil Henderson, Flesher in Selkirk and John ANDISON, Present Dean of the Gild in Selkirk.

I presume Basil Henderson is somehow related to Agnes (her father was John) and John ANDISON could be ANDERSON, but why they would spell it differently on the same record is beyond me.  John ANDISON is noted as being 'Present Dean of the Gild in Selkirk'.

I'd be very interested in any information on any of the above named if you have access to relevant records you can access or point me in the direction of.

George and Agnes appear to have been married at St Cuthbert, Edinburgh:
7 July 1774
George Anderson, Baker Selkirk and Agnes Henderson Resident at (image is very clear and looks like) Burron Loch.  Lawful daughter of John, Divisional Portioner, Selkirk.
ADDED: Witnesses James Aikman, Mason Portoburgh (presumably Portobello?) and John Elliot, Mason, Nicholson's Park.

No idea if where Agnes is 'Residing' is near Selkirk or Edinburgh.

I haven't yet started to research other siblings of John, or any deaths of those named above (other than John in 1890).

John married Jane (Jean) Dobson in 1804.  The first child recorded I can find is George in 1815-1890.  I can find 3 further girls but nothing prior to George.  John was a Mason.

All help/direction appreciated and I'm happy to purchase records if they look relevant.

I'm sorry but I don't have the facility to put up a snip of the records at the moment.

Thanks in advance, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1776 Bapt record - Witness 'Dean of the Gild in Selkirk' - John ANDISON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 10:34 BST (UK) »
GEORGE ANDERSON   Married    AGNES HENDERSON   07/07/1774   St Cuthbert's

BASIL HENDERSON   married   KATHARINE LANG   17/10/1778   St Cuthbert's

I can see baptisms on SP for Agnes in the Edinburgh but no Basil Henderson in Scotland.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 10:58 BST (UK) »
Found him.

BAZILL HENDERSON
JOHN HENDERSON/EUPHANE CURROR
Born 21 May 1745 (On Ancestry)
Baptised (Anc. & SP) 27/05/1745
Selkirk

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 11:09 BST (UK) »
There were a number of possible John Andison's born in the Selkirkshire and elsewhere, whilst there are also Anderson's, my opinion in this instance is the name Andison is not mistranscribed.
However you could check the Kirk Session Records on SP, he is bound to be mentioned around that time.

Colin

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much ColC.

I look forward to doing more research on these folk to see if they could be related.  Thanks for pointing out the Kirk Sessions.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 22 15:03 BST (UK) »
KtCarson  I would suggest you obtain the Selkirk Auld KirkYard M.Is from Border family History Society.I recorded it years ago and has numerous Andersons and Hendersons from the 1700s including this one for Basil
Here lies JOHN HENDERSON, Flesher in Selkirk and late Deacon convenor died November 3rd 1747 aged 62yrs also AGNES MIDDLEMIST his spouse who died July 26th 1768 aged 85yrs ISOBEL HENDERSON spouse to ROBERT SCOT BAXTER died December 15th 1743 aged 19yrs also JOHNS sons of the above JOHN HENDERSON who died in 1805 aged 84yrs BASIL his son who died in India in 1788 aged 43yrs.
hope this helps
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 22 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan, thanks for the suggestion and the information.  I will do a look up for the BFHS.  It would be good to get hold of it to see what other relatives might be there.

We'll be down in Selkirk in a week or so to attend a family funeral, so that might at least give me an opportunity to do a wee walk through the Auld Kirk Yard.

Cheers, Kit

Offline Foreversearchingforanswer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 19:40 BST (UK) »
that John Anderson, with my aunt for goodness sakes....

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800174.0

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 19:49 BST (UK) »
Very interesting.  Is he Anderson in one and Andison in the next?  I can read about 50% of the handwriting.

Kit