Author Topic: Alice DANIELS (1869-1953)  (Read 10004 times)

Offline genealogyem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice DANIELS (1869-1953)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 August 22 14:52 BST (UK) »
Yes you are correct. George and Bessie immigrated Toronto in 1908. They lived out the rest of their lived in the city; Bessie d. 1960 and George d. 1967.

I would love to chat further through direct messaging.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 August 22 13:02 BST (UK) »
Here is Alice entering the Islington Workhouse infirmary October 11th, 1899:
(St. John's Road Workhouse Infirmary admissions/discharges)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1T-JVMZ?i=181&cat=1224679

Released "to police" a couple days later:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1T-JVHD?i=186&cat=1224679

However there doesn't seem to be any trace of a child with her or about the same time.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 August 22 13:33 BST (UK) »
Genealogy - I have sent you a private message.

Offline genealogyem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 October 22 20:32 BST (UK) »
I have uncovered a few more details about Alice and the man she was living with in 1899 which describes her living situation prior to the suicide attempt.

According to the Islington Gazette article (published Oct 16 1899), Alice had a severe drinking problem. She had been living with the "somewhat older" man (described in later articles as being of "foreign" appearance) for four months but the two were not married. He claims that he wanted to marry Alice but was not willing to do so until she was cured. When the man mentioned these details to the officer, Alice began to sob and accused the man of being a "brute" who "kept throwing the past in her face". He told the officer that he wanted Alice to get help for her alcoholism even if it meant that the court would have to send her away for a few months.

The officer took Alice to chemist where she was treated for the poisoning attempt, followed by the workhouse infirmary.

The officer was unsure what to do with the child, but agreed to leave her in the man's care because neither of them knew who the biological father was. The man seemed adamant about being willing to care for the child while Alice recovered. This explains why there is no record of a child entering the workhouse with Alice. Based on the officer claiming that the man was not the child's father, I am led to believe that the child did not resemble him.

Approximately one week later (article published Oct 22 1899 in Lloyds Weekly Newspaper), when Alice's case was heard in court, the man claimed he was unable to care for the child and cited this as a reason why Alice should be released on bail. It is then alleged that the man was selling Alice's belonging. Based on this, it seems safe to assume that they had ended the relationship (which would explain why he would no longer be willing to care for her child).

After this point, there  are contradictory accounts of what happened to the child. One article claims that there was no choice but to send the child to the workhouse, where as another claims that the child accompanied Alice to the benevolent home.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 October 22 21:22 BST (UK) »
Very interesting. I would really like to know more about the young child. We know Alice married later, but the child simply disappears.

Offline genealogyem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 October 22 22:04 BST (UK) »
Considering the description of Alice in the Islington Gazette article, and the fact she is working as a charwoman in 1901, it is possible that she re-entered the workhouse between 1899 and 1901 but left without her child.

When I searched the 1901 census for a little girl in the workhouse with the surname 'Daniels', there were two results:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&q.birthLikeDate.from=1896&q.birthLikeDate.to=1899&q.birthLikePlace=Middlesex%2C%20England&q.relationshipToHead=Inmate&q.sex=Female&q.surname=Daniels&f.collectionId=1888129

1. Edith b.1896 Middlesex; Kensington Workhouse
2. Gladys b.1899 Newton Abbot, Devon; Wolborough Workhouse

Of the two results, Edith is the most promising based on her birth year and location.  I still have to do a little more research to determine her parentage, but it is a promising lead.

Offline rainamilnes23

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 February 24 23:21 GMT (UK) »
This is my first time using this website but I’d love to connect! My dad’s mom’s grandfather was George Thomas Daniels who married Elizabeth sword, had William Daniels and he had my grandmother Lorraine Daniels.

And George Thomas Daniels father was also George Thomas Daniels who married Mary Taplin.

Please let me know how I can connect and chat and find out more! I can give you my email as well. I know there are rules here so don’t know what is allowed.

Thank you!