Author Topic: Wllm John JAMISON death 19thC Glasgow  (Read 821 times)

Offline RLR500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Search. If you don't ask, the answer is always no.
    • View Profile
Re: Wllm John JAMISON death 19thC Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 April 22 23:44 BST (UK) »
Monica! What a whole load of amazing info and detail! So I spent most of today going down a completely different rabbit hole in looking for Joseph Jamison/Jamieson...... and have just deleted it all. Your trail seems so much more promising - the KEY link was the residence 16 Rowchester St Glasgow on David Jamieson marriage in 1874.
And the interesting fact of the twins...... my g/grandfather Robert Jamison had twins! (my grandmother).
But I have not been able to link William John to Joseph Jamieson and Jane Patterson.
I found Joseph Jamison and Jane Patterson marriage - Drumbo Parish Church, Co Down  13 Dec 1847. And Jane's age was 20 (b 1827) on this marriage record which makes it more plausible for her to have the twins at age 38 (not 45 if you look at other trees and sources which have her as older than Joseph).
There are 3 other ancestry trees that have Joseph and Jane - but only with Joseph Jr and the twins..... noone else has Wllm John as their first child.
Sigh. And the records start too late for his birth in 1848/9.
Do you have any way of searching church records back then? If they married in Drumbo Church Co Down and Wllm John was born 1 year later - perhaps his birth/baptism was recorded there as well?

I am sorry I don't know how to include a link (like you have). i am still learning how to use this site.
Re: Ancestry.com site. Yes I am a paid up member (15yrs plus) and the tree link that you posted was my cousin Robert (a Jamison descendant) and he copies everything from me.
So the answer is no - we have not found William John's family - nor has anyone else on Ancestry. My tree is fairly comprehensive and I try hard to get all my facts sourced and checked.... but this link has me stumped.
You have been marvelous! I don't know how you keep it all straight - it makes my head spin and I know all these people/names etc.!!
I would love to confirm all of this... and am still hoping that it may lead to a burial location for my g/grandfather Robert Jamison b 25 Dec 1872 Glasgow d 26 Apr 1921 (I made another post in the graveyard section asking for help with Knockbreda Cemetery Belfast records - I think he may be buried there?).
I better stop here before this turns into a novel! Thank you so very much. This has been eye opening! :-)
Philadelphia, USA: Linton, Shallcross, Beagle.
Northern Ireland: Co Derry: Linton, Ross. Co. Down: Jamison, Graham.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 April 22 00:50 BST (UK) »
Has this death been checked as a possibility...

JAMIESON WILLIAM JOHN 70 - 1919 - 644/6 158 Springburn (Glasgow)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline RLR500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 April 22 09:51 BST (UK) »
Annie, Thanks for this. I checked it out - seems so perfect doesn't with the middle name and all - but the parents don't match and neither does his wife. So its not him.

His wife, Mary Jane BOAL Jamison - was back in Ireland with her two grown unmarried sons (Robert and Wllm Henry) for the 1901 Ireland Census.
So we think that either William John was travelling for work - or was deceased by then. But the 1901 Census has Mary Jane as married.

Mary Jane died 22 Nov 1910, as a widow, at her son's residence at 30 Indiana St Belfast.
Would love to find her burial ground - as we think that is where we will find her son Robert (my g grandfather) who passed away at 47yrs old in 1921.
No one has ever known where he was buried. There are no online records.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 April 22 10:06 BST (UK) »
I found Joseph Jamison and Jane Patterson marriage - Drumbo Parish Church, Co Down  13 Dec 1847. And Jane's age was 20 (b 1827) on this marriage record which makes it more plausible for her to have the twins at age 38 (not 45 if you look at other trees and sources which have her as older than Joseph).
There are 3 other ancestry trees that have Joseph and Jane - but only with Joseph Jr and the twins..... noone else has Wllm John as their first child.
Never, ever, trust anything you find online unless it's an image or an original document. In particular, do not trust trees submitted to Ancestry or any of the other commercial web sites. Use them as an aid to proper research.

What happens is that someone puts together a tree without researching it properly, so it contains errors. Other people come along, find it, copy it and attach it to their own tree without bothering to check, and before long you can have dozens, if not hundreds, of trees, all containing the same wrong information.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619657 for a classic example of this.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RLR500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 April 22 10:53 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you. Agree 100% and that has been my golden rule throughout my last 15yrs of ancestry research.  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 April 22 16:33 BST (UK) »

...the KEY link was the residence 16 Rowchester St Glasgow on David Jamieson marriage in 1874...

It was Joseph who married in 1874 and gave his address as 16 Rowchester Street.

Brother David married in 1889....as did twin Robert! Robert married an Ellen Mackin in Paisley. The family in 1891:

Robert Jamieson 25 Calenderman b. Ireland
Ellen Jamieson 23 b. Ireland
Joseph Jamieson 7 months b. Paisley

Address: 27 Gt Hamilton St, Paisley

Both baby Joseph and Ellen died in 1892. Ellen in Paisley and Joseph, aged 2, in Camlachie, Glasgow. At a guess, Ellen died first and Robert needed help looking after his toddler son, Joseph? Twin David was living at 3 Glenpark St, Glasgow/Camlachie in 1891 wasn't he.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RLR500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 April 22 16:40 BST (UK) »
Typing in bed late at night - Joseph not David. !!
Will look at this now. TY

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 April 22 17:45 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you. Agree 100% and that has been my golden rule throughout my last 15yrs of ancestry research.  :)

Sounds like you know what you are doing  ;)

I am not sure you will find a document for William John that will include his mother's name, but there is now plenty of circumstantial info that points to her having likely been Jane Paterson, wife of Joseph Jamieson, a grocer/storekeeper (and in son David's marriage cert. also a farmer).

You have confirmed on William John's 1872 marriage that his father was a Storekeeper. William John's occupation at the time of his marriage was showing as Grocer and Druggist. Just adding below how father, and parents from the Scottish regs, were showing for William and potentially his his three brothers (t.b.c. but pencil getting a little stronger  ::)) Joseph, David and Robert. See below in order of years, all from marriage regs.:

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 April 22 17:47 BST (UK) »
Working through this info, Joseph and Jane look to have died between 1874 when they showed as not deceased and 1889 when they showed as deceased on sons' marriages.

I have had no luck finding their deaths so far.

Monica