Author Topic: Ancestry DNA new feature SideView splits ethnicity by parent + ethnicity update  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA new feature SideView splits ethnicity by parent + ethnicity update
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 April 22 16:33 BST (UK) »
Same dilemma as LizzieL  :(. I'm 19% Welsh with parent 2, 0% parent 1. Parent 2 can only be my father's side as the ethnicity matches more and it fits more with his tree. There's no known Welsh ancestry on my father's side but quite a bit on my mother's side.Also I've now got 3% Portugal which neither parent has in there results.

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA new feature SideView splits ethnicity by parent + ethnicity update
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 April 22 16:46 BST (UK) »
Same problem LizzieL, as far as I know I have no Scottish on either side but one of them is showing 20% Scottish with a bit of Welsh and the rest English.  The other one shows as English with a tiny bit of Swedish and Norwegian.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 April 22 17:02 BST (UK) »
Be aware that ethnicity ESTIMATES are based on data going back 500-1000 years, not just last century.

Zaph

Online melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 April 22 19:40 BST (UK) »
I think some of these problems are because Ancestry still hasn't quite solved the Scottish/English riddle. In fact, I suggested before, that I think there probably shouldn't be one Scottish category, because Lowland Scots are very genetically similar to people from Northumberland being originally formed by Anglo-Saxons in the Kingdom of Bernicia after the fall of Roman Britain, so maybe there should be additional 'England-Scotland borders' category?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernicia

Although Bernicia, which became the eastern Lowlands was conquered by the Gaelic speaking Scots, those Anglo-Saxon people stayed and the Scots language is mostly based on the original language of those Anglo-Saxon settlers.

https://dsl.ac.uk/

western Lowland Scots are probably similar to the Cumbrians also.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 April 22 21:10 BST (UK) »
Interesting but useful? Not yet sure if it is

As noted for those with NPEs it may help narrow choices

Parent 1 for me has to be my dad as his Irish is proven and the larger contributor. Alternatively my mothers Scottish side is well represented on Parent 2.

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 April 22 09:42 BST (UK) »
Peter Calver in his latest Lost Cousins newsletter seems to have answered my question in post 20 above. In his review of SideView he states "From today they are beginning the roll out of a new feature called SideViewTM, which will eventually enable them to sort most DNA matches into maternal and paternal side. The immediate benefit is much more limited: ethnicity estimates will be split into maternal and paternal components."

If he is correct then we can expect to see Parent 1 and Parent 2 against some of our matches sometime in the future.

Online melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 April 22 09:51 BST (UK) »
Peter Calver in his latest Lost Cousins newsletter seems to have answered my question in post 20 above. In his review of SideView he states "From today they are beginning the roll out of a new feature called SideViewTM, which will eventually enable them to sort most DNA matches into maternal and paternal side. The immediate benefit is much more limited: ethnicity estimates will be split into maternal and paternal components."

If he is correct then we can expect to see Parent 1 and Parent 2 against some of our matches sometime in the future.
Sorry ikas I misunderstood your question :). Yes, it seems we could now have that ability, that previously we could only get if one of your parents tested.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 April 22 09:55 BST (UK) »
No problem. Certainly looking forward to it. I wonder if they will give an indication of how reliable their estimate is.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 April 22 10:44 BST (UK) »
So which do you think is the mother and which is the father ;D