Author Topic: Still Looking for Thomas Williams  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Still Looking for Thomas Williams
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 24 June 23 22:13 BST (UK) »
I am now looking for the burial place of Margaret Richard(s). On the 1841 and 1851 censuses she is living in Penrhywpal. Before 1861 she had moved to Yetgoch and still living with her son Henry. I cannot find Yetgoch.
RG09 . Piece/Folio 4182 / 52 . Page 12

Newspaper articles offer clues:
Two cottages and gardens called Yetgoch, and a field called Parkshon
I have seen carts with turf coming from Henllys along the road by Yetgoch down to Glandeod house.
The path from Meline Church to Yetgoch is the road in dispute.
From Yetgoch Gate to Meline Church is 543 yards: that is the road in question.
Cross-examined by Mr Bowen: I surveyed the farm of Penbenglog in 1822: the road described on my plan as leading to other farms is there described as the road to Penbenglog.
The funeral went through some fields in which there was no path. I did not go to church: many people do not go to church at Meline: they go to chapel.

It  would seem the road was a dirt track used occasionally by carts and listed then as today in being footpaths. Looking at the present OS map and old maps, the location is just south of Castell Henllys and a good distance from Penrhywpal. I assume the closest church will be Meline, but the baptism of her sons were in a chapel and I cannot see any other cross symbols. Are there any chapels with graveyards in the area?

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Still Looking for Thomas Williams
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 18:04 BST (UK) »
I have traced this family of Troedyraur, Cardiganshire. In 1841 they are at Penrhywpale, Troedyraur (HO107 . Piece/Folio 1377/23 . Page 11) where two children were born. By 1851, it is only Troedyraur (HO107 . Piece/Folio 2482/395 . Page 12) and then in 1861 it is Yetgoch, Troedyraur (RG09 Piece/Folio 4182 / 52 . Page 12).

Looking for Yetgoch, I only found one near Eglwyswrw, Pembrokeshire and mentioned in my last post. I now think that is wrong. There must be another Yetgoch as the census says it is in Troedyraur. Only using FamilySearch I cannot see the originals. Could someone look to see if there are any clues as to where the house is in 1851 and the location of Yetgoch in 1861?