Author Topic: Settlement records c1815-1817  (Read 466 times)

Offline Sammi

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for Swinbourne (any spelling variation!)
    • View Profile
Settlement records c1815-1817
« on: Sunday 17 April 22 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I believe Coreley, Shropshire was within the Diocese of Hereford and am looking for settlement papers for an ancestor who was likely returned there from Kidderminster after the birth of an illegitimate child in 1815.
Can anyone tell me where to find settlement examinations and certificates for this time period please, or would they have remained with the parish?
Regards
Samantha
Most of my ancestry is from the Midlands area of England. I was born in Birmingham, but a lot of my ancestors are from the Black Country. So I am a Brummy but also a Black Country wench (hence the Yahoo nickname!)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Settlement records c1815-1817
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 22 10:09 BST (UK) »
Poor-law administration at this date was a parish matter, not a diocesan one.

Assuming that you've already searched at the Kidderminster end, if anything else survives it will be at Shropshire Archives. You can search the catalogue online, or email them to ask, or both.

https://www.shropshirearchives.org.uk/

ADDED
The Shropshire FHS have also issued some poor-law material in the form of photocopies.
http://www.sfhs.org.uk/sites/default/files/SFHS_Publications%20Catalogue%20April%202022%20for%20Website.pdf

Offline Sammi

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for Swinbourne (any spelling variation!)
    • View Profile
Re: Settlement records c1815-1817
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 22 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, will keep looking. Coreley settlements aren't there by the looks of things at either place. Will try emailing archives.
Most of my ancestry is from the Midlands area of England. I was born in Birmingham, but a lot of my ancestors are from the Black Country. So I am a Brummy but also a Black Country wench (hence the Yahoo nickname!)