Author Topic: Horsfall death 1941  (Read 1667 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Horsfall death 1941
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 18:04 BST (UK) »
For those who kindly add knowledgeably  helped in my Tom Horsfall search. The will and probate of Isobel Horsfall has arrived. We thought Isobel may have been a second wife of my Tom Horsfall. In the will Isobel names two sons-in-law and two daughters. Lots of distinctive names, so not difficult to track, the search proving that this Isobel was not married to ‘my' Tom. Her husband, in fact, was Thomas Middlebrook Horsfall, whom she married in 1910.

However, it’s still possible / likely that the 1932 marriage between Tom Horsfall and Isabell Allinson refers to my grandmother’s brother.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 12 May 22 16:42 BST (UK) »
For those who have shown an interest in this thread, especially those who have been a great help. I now have the marriage cert I'd ordered from GRO

It certainly refers to the TOM HORSFALL I've been looking for, the most telling proof being the groom's father's name and occupation. The wedding took place at St Anne's, Stamford Hill, 17 July 1932. Tom described as widower (49), and his bride, Isabell Allinson (44), a spinster. Tom's occupation given as carpenter. The residence at time of marriage is the same for both parties––4C Vicarage Parade N 15.

Isabell's father's name recorded as Thomas Allinson (deceased), Seaman by occupation.

Does the common address suggest that the couple were already living together? I note that this marriage took place just one year after the death of Clara, Tom's first wife. Obeying convention probably, especially as it was a church, rather than a registry office, marriage.

The strange circumstances remains that three years after the wedding Tom is living with Antoinette Lack; yet on Tom's 1944 death certificate it is 'Bella' Horsfall ('wife of the deceased') who is the informant.

Many thanks again for all help and advice received.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 12 May 22 20:07 BST (UK) »

The strange circumstances remains that three years after the wedding Tom is living with Antoinette Lack; yet on Tom's 1944 death certificate it is 'Bella' Horsfall ('wife of the deceased') who is the informant.

Being at the same address doesn't mean they are "together"  I can see Tom Horsfall and Antoinette Lack at the same address on the 1935 electoral register, but there's also a William Lack and three other people at that address

Other searches suggest she might be Stephania Antoinette Lack - and William Lack is Tom William

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 12 May 22 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, MB. As you say, living at the same address doesn't necessarily mean cohabitation. However, the fact that Tom joins [Stephania] Antoinette and her mother in Dorset in 1939 does suggest they were more than fellow lodgers. William Bruno Lack was Antoinette's son. Perhaps this is one mystery which, unless we have a real stroke of luck, may be destined to remain unsolved!