Author Topic: Army Pensioner  (Read 5941 times)

Offline hgs46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army Pensioner
« on: Monday 18 April 22 16:26 BST (UK) »
Andrew Lamond (of Crathie, Aberdeenshire) of the Royal Sappers & Miners appears in the Record WO23, Royal Hospital Chelsea, Admission Books, Registers and Papers 1702-1876. He was invalided out of Army in 1813 when he lost a leg aged 30. I have not found his death. Because the transcript (not the original) has a 1834 date on it, I wondered if anyone might indicate what the contents of the following stands for. It looks like Dd. QPY289. Would 1834 be a death date or perhaps just a change in pension.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army Pensioner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 22 17:05 BST (UK) »
It looks like Dd. QPY289. Would 1834 be a death date or perhaps just a change in pension.

'DD' = discharged dead. Not sure about the QPY289 remark.

Note: 1834 could be the date when the pension administrators discharged Andrew, having had his death reported to them. So there's a possibility he might have died before 1834.

Also, TNA have this RA record for an Andrew Lamond: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14424904

Question: Does the transcript you refer to mention anything about an "agent's list"?
Out-Pensioners who lived 'Out', in the UK or abroad, and received their pension in cash from agents around the country. The agents probably sent news of out-pensioner deaths back to the administrators, hence my question above.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 22 17:19 BST (UK) »
Did you see that he lost his leg at Badajoz? 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 22 17:36 BST (UK) »

Question: Does the transcript you refer to mention anything about an "agent's list"?
Out-Pensioners who lived 'Out', in the UK or abroad and received their pension in cash from agents around the country. The agents probably sent news of out-pensioner deaths back to the administrators, hence my question above.

Excuse me for butting in here. Were there agency offices with several staff in designated locations where army pensioners went to collect their money or did agents have delivery rounds?
It may be relevant to an enquiry I was helping with. An English-born army pensioner, served in Ireland, returned to England with Irish wife & children when he left army, then returned to Ireland for the rest of his life, living in a couple of places.
Cowban

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 22 18:08 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone: Out-pensioners applied for their quarterly pension payments through local officials.
After 1842, district offices administered the payments. If a soldier received a pension between 1842 and 1883, the WO22 records may reflect if he moved to another district, he was a new out-pensioner, or he died within the period.

As you mentioned Ireland: the Royal Hospital Kilmainham in Dublin handled the pensions of Irish Regiments (as well as some English, Scottish, and Welsh units, though most pensions for non-Irish regiments were handled by the Royal Hospital Chelsea in London).

The RHK dealt with pensions for regiments in the Irish Army Establishment until 1800, when the British and Irish Army Establishments were combined. In 1822, the out-pensions administered by Kilmainham were shifted over to the Royal Hospital Chelsea; however, soldiers discharged in Ireland were still examined at Kilmainham before their information was passed along to Chelsea until the 1860s.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 April 22 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for explanation, Hillhurst.
Cowban

Offline hgs46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 02:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hillhurst, ShaunJ and Maiden Stone for your help and suggestions. This is a long-standing search and I should have looked closer at my notes, for I now see that Andrew Lamont(D) appears to be in Aberdeen in 1841 Census:

LAMOND, Andrew M 59 1782 Army P Aberdeenshire
LAMOND, Bathia F 61 1780 Aberdeenshire
(Dau) LAMOND, Mary F 22 1819 Aberdeenshire

Bathia? That's another conundrum, as daughter Mary's death certificate in 1885 states that her mother was Mary Lamont, ms unknown. Of course Bathia may not be a mother, but an aunt etc.

Offline If the shoe fits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 02:04 BST (UK) »
This may not apply to this specific story but good to know for anyone researching

For pensioners from the army in the late 1700s and the 1800s, the UK offered pensioners a 'deal', they would receive their pension as an allotment of land in another country like Australia, so they stopped receiving the formal pension and received wages - they needed to work as prison warders, police officers, wardens etc for 7 years which gave them a wage, with their formal pension being their land allotment. My gg grandfather and many of his  family who served in the Crimea War came to  Australia that way.

Pensioned out may be he was paid in another form - land etc

I looked up pensions in the UK armed services, Dd means they were discharged and their pension was paid out - that army pensions CAN be paid as lump sum payments for seriously ill pensioners.   I imagine an amputee, or other health conditions would be part of that.  It does not mean he is dead.  If you cant find him in the UK, look at shipping records as an option.  If you can't find his passing, look in other countries, he may have moved to work then send money home for the family. 

If his daughters death certificate doesn't have his?? name on it, this could explain it, maybe he left and aunty was grumpy about it.

Offline hgs46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 June 22 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for taking the time to let me know the meaning of Dd. If Andrew Lamond's Pension was discharged in 1838 he would have been 56. You wouldn't imagine that at that age and with 1 leg he would have found benefit from another one-off arrangement. Maybe he had no choice of course. By the way, his daughter's death certificate in 1885 did include her father as Andrew Lamont, soldier, dec. The informant was William Smith but I don't know if it was son or husband. I suspect the first. Thanks for your other suggestions.