Author Topic: Historical Source Images - Queensland births  (Read 368 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Historical Source Images - Queensland births
« on: Tuesday 19 April 22 23:47 BST (UK) »
I am interested in buying a historical source image for a birth registered in Queensland in 1911.

I would like to hear from anyone who has seen one of these images. I have expectations of seeing a form filled in by a parent. Or would I be better off buying a copy of the actual birth certificate for accuracy of information. Eg medical witnesses. Thank you, gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Historical Source Images - Queensland births
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 23:57 BST (UK) »
would I be better off buying a copy of the actual birth certificate for accuracy of information.

You can never beat buying any original docs. & especially if they're for direct line ancestors.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 22 00:06 BST (UK) »
I would indeed recommend the historical image. I always go for these records in preference to others.
Unlikely to have been "filled in by the parent", (often people were not literate enough to do so), but will have the information supplied at the time by the people involved. They can also contain additional bits of detail of historical interest, such as signatures and margin notes.

Added: The certified copy means you have to rely on someone's transcription skills, and ability or inability to read the old hand writing correctly.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 22 00:19 BST (UK) »
Buy the historic image,  it is absolutely fantastic.  Yes, it will be in longhand,  yes, it may be a tad hard to read the older style of writing, but that's what RChatters are best at sorting.    And, you get any margin scribble notes (one of mine said 'walked through flood water), and .... just chase the image...

Neale is SPOT ON....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 22 00:29 BST (UK) »
would I be better off buying a copy of the actual birth certificate for accuracy of information.
You can never beat buying any original docs. & especially if they're for direct line ancestors.

My wording wasn't clear...

A photocopy of any original is as good as an 'original' as opposed to a transcription.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 April 22 01:45 BST (UK) »
(My last post responding and expressing my thanks seems to have disappeared. So please bear with me as I try again.)

Thank you all for replying so promptly. And you have all been so helpful.

I have just realised that my Dad’s birth is now online and the source image is also available. As I already have a copy of his birth certificate, I can now buy the source image and make comparisons.

Thank you all. Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 April 22 01:22 BST (UK) »
I wish to advise that I now have a copy of the source image for my Dad. Here is what I found:

The reproduction was excellent. Foremost at the top of the form in bold is the warning that supplying false information etc attracts a penalty of Imprisonment with Hard Labour for 3 years.

The form was filled by an unknown hand.. The usual information about parents including their ages, date and place of marriage.
Names and ages of living children of the marriage and of previous marriage of the mother. Sex only for any deceased child.
Signatures of the Dr and nurse present at birth. And the mother, (my Grandmother) The form was dated 26 days after the birth.  I would think that the form could have been filled in before this date.

In all, very worthwhile for those who want knowledge of their family at a particular point in time. Regards, Gazania.
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 April 22 02:17 BST (UK) »
It's good to know what's recorded as it helps others too.

Probably the best in the world followed by Scotland (although not so detailed).

Annie