Author Topic: Marriage during WW1  (Read 643 times)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage during WW1
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 April 22 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi AllanUK,

Yes of course -

Pte Harry Thornsby
serv no 10812 1/6th Lanc Fusiliers 1914
serv no 241327 1st Lanc Fusiliers 1914-1918

I have obtained this from Service Medal and Award Rolls on Ancestry, and the fact he was wounded from the NLS Weekly Casualty List from 1918.

I'm guessing that he was just allowed Leave in 1917, but was that common? Anything you can help build my experience here would be appreciated!

There are some 'Admission and Discharge' records (for medical treatment of wounds / illness etc) available online and I was hoping that I could find Harry for you but unfortunately he doesn't come up in my searches. I have searched under Harry Thornsby / Harry C Thornsby / Harry Clifford Thornsby as well as using his service number. Sorry that I couldn't help.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 May 22 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone could help me with something that's puzzling me. One of my ancestors served in the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers from 1914-1918. I have a record of being entitled to wearing a wounding stripe on 14/05/1918. However, I have also found his marriage record for 1917 at home. I was under the impression that soldiers weren't allowed to return home to marry? Is anyone able to assist or speculate?

Thanks!

Hope this Answers your Original Post Parcark asking whether Leave to Return to UK to Marry during WW1 from the Front ?
I have Two Unusual Pieces of Evidence relating to my Granddad Cpl 196 in 1/7th King's Liverpool Regt
sent over 7 March 1915 we have a Photo postcard to his Parents in April 1915 asking on the Reverse if they can get help from Mr. Hannah (who is their local Mission/Minister) to get him Home for his 3rd Child Birth imminently due.
He married 1910 his Son Samuel 1911 then Edith named after his Favourite Sister in 1913 and about ? In 1915
Surprisingly 3rd Child a Son William Henry born on 2 May 1915  at 47 Elizabeth Rd off Hawthorne Rd Orrell/Bootle  Liverpool and the Birth certificate shows Granddad Registered the Birth
 so he was granted Leave to Return from the Front for the Birth then Return to Flanders
When he did, most of his Btn had been wiped out in those few days away.
Fate was very Kind to me, otherwise I may not be writing this.

On 20 September 1917 East of Ypres earning his MM that night
 he was unable to attend his Favourites Sister Edith Marriage on 21st September 1917 at Birkenhead Registery Office

Her Fiance was Robet Henry Palmer born in Barbados was a Sgt in 4th King's Liverpool Regt
He had just awarded the MM on 17 July 1917 in Flanders and in Edinburgh Gazette
He applied for Leave obviously to return to the UK to Marry Edith Chapman

Being born in Barbados it is possibly to wrongly make the wrong assumption.

Further investigation found his Parents married in Nova Scotia Canada at the King's Liverpool Regt Barracks had a Son then posted to Bermuda to Live then Live in Barbados then Cape Town South Africa to Live where 3rd Son Married before Retiring in Liverpool and becoming Customs Officer
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 May 22 10:26 BST (UK) »

GRO Marriage Index =  Robert H Palmer September Quarter 1917 Birkenhead Vol 8b page 988 Edith Chapman

Sadly Edith after 11 weeks Marriage she was made a Widow by a German Sniper Killing Robert on 7 December 1917

He was Buried at Tyne Cot 25 December 1917

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 May 22 10:48 BST (UK) »
Your Harry Thonsby 10812 went to Gallipoli with 1/6th Lancs Fusiliers from 22 October 1915 to 27 December 1915 then retreated to Mudros with 125th Brigade 42nd Division
Hence -1914 / 15 Star
Then went to Somme with 1st Btn fought at Albert and Transloy as 241327

Leave granted to Return to UK to Marriage =
Ivy Almond June Quarter 1917 Rochdale District Volume 8e page 98

Birth GRO Index also shows =
Marion Thornsby - June Quarter 1921 Rochdale District Volume 8e page 117
Mother's Maiden Name = Almond

Eric Thornsby- June Quarter 1923 Rochdale District Volume 8e page 104
Mother's Maiden Name = Almond