Author Topic: Thomas ELSTON or Robert GILLET in Surrey Assizes early 1790s  (Read 245 times)

Offline witchetty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas ELSTON or Robert GILLET in Surrey Assizes early 1790s
« on: Saturday 23 April 22 08:57 BST (UK) »
It seems that FindMyPast only has newspapers for Surrey from 1855 onwards.

Considering he had broken into Addington Place or Hall, owned by the TRECOTHICK family you'd think that would have been reported.

Does anyone have access to Surrey newspapers for that decade?

Alternatively, does anyone have access to an index for the Lent assizes in Surrey? Not sure what year.

He was had up at the Old Bailey in January 1797 for skipping out on his earlier sentence. Thus the seven years were not yet complete.

So the previous trial was at Lent any time from 1790 on, I'd say.

I live in Australia, so can't wander in to the TNA.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas ELSTON or Robert GILLET in Surrey Assizes early 1790s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 22 11:13 BST (UK) »
This looks like it may be a description of the robbery, though it doesn't mention names. Or did the Hall get broken into more than once? This burglary may be a bit late.  :-\
December 20, 1796 - December 22, 1796
Publication: Whitehall Evening Post

Oh, I can't attach a file here. Will transcribe ...

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 22 11:17 BST (UK) »
"Early last Friday morning, the house of James Trecothick, Esq. at Addington, Surry, was broke open, and robbed of linen, &c. to the amount of 200l. and upwards. Four men on horseback, with a large bundle before them were seen the same morning on the London road. What makes this robbery extraordinary, the villains carried away a cold fillet of veal and a loaf of bread, and left behind some plate and other valuable articles, which were in the same room, and which they evidently discovered."

December 20, 1796 - December 22, 1796
Publication: Whitehall Evening Post

Modified to add:
I'm also in Australia.  :D  If you have an Australian National Library card you can access British Library Newspapers through Gale Primary Sources for free from home, through the library's eresources. Also available through the NSW State Library, and I assume the other State Libraries. That is where I found this item.

Offline witchetty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 22 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks maddys52.

I had no idea there was a card I could use for British newspapers. Nor, apparently, does a friend of mine who is normally quite savvy about such things. I have now applied for a National Library of Australia card. Thanks so much for that tip :)

FindMyPast only has the Whitehall Evening Post for a single year, 1801 :(.

That article throws a spanner in the works, in that in 1797 Thomas/Robert was only tried for escaping from custody. He was apprehended the day after Christmas 1796. The note on his conviction entry in 1797 appears to link him to the more recent crime, but he wasn't tried for that, only for being at large.

Perhaps the authorities figured they definitely had evidence for his having escaped, so sent him packing, and continued gathering evidence to charge his companions for the recent crime at a later date.

I guess I'll have to go into my own State library in Melbourne to see if anyone else was charged over the more recent robbery.

Thanks again :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 April 22 06:28 BST (UK) »
Pleased to help.  :)

The Old Bailey transcript definitely does say the Lent assizes. Actually I can't seem to access their website at the moment to check.  :-\  But this would mean the original trial would have been in March/April 1796 at the latest.

Have you tried the National Archives?
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/criminal-trials-assize-courts-1559-1971/

Will keep looking ...

Offline witchetty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 22 00:58 BST (UK) »
I have now ordered an ANL card, and will go into the State Library to see what they have for Surrey Assizes.

Thanks for all your help. :)