Author Topic: French marriage in 1839 deciphering and translation - completed with many thanks  (Read 187 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
I have this copy of an ancestor's marriage in Baldersheim, Haut-Rhin in 1839. It is terribly hard to read, and my eyes and school-girl French are certainly not up to the task. The couple are Antoine ZEISSER and Francoise MEISTER. There is also a longer document with signatures at the end which is equally difficult to read. I can post it also, if anyone is up for a challenge.  :)

A translation of any or all would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: French marriage in 1839 deciphering and translation
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 22 10:53 BST (UK) »
Can you get a better image maddy?
This one is only 181 kbs and you allowed up to 500 kbs per image.
It becomes very fuzzy when you zoom in, and with the very small writing, is difficult to make out the letters.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 22 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking goldie. Unfortunately it is a really poor image. I accessed it from myheritage.com when they had free access on Valentine's Day. Here is a larger version. Maybe I could try in a couple of pieces? Will see if I can get it any larger without losing more clarity.

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 22 11:53 BST (UK) »
There is also a longer document with signatures at the end which is equally difficult to read. I can post it also, if anyone is up for a challenge.  :)

A translation of any or all would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I found this document and made a summary. I'm not 100% sure I read the names of 2 of the witnesses correct.
link to this document: https://archives.haut-rhin.fr/ark:/naan/a011455803107OvWymq/8bd2b98085

Baldersheim, 1839, 7th of January, marriage between
Groom: Antoine Zeisser, weaver, 23 years old, born and residing in Baldersheim,
adult son of spouses Antoine Zeisser, day laborer and Catherine Meyer, residing in Baldersheim,
both present and consenting.
&
Bride: Françoise Meister, weaver, 23 years old, born and residing in Baldersheim,
adult daughter of spouses Jean Meister, day laborer and Catherine Kuster, residing in Baldersheim,
both present and consenting.
Witnesses: Jean Michel Vest?, weaver, 33 years old, brother in law of the groom; Xavier Meyer,
day laborer, 35 years old, cousin of the groom; Xavier Kittler, weaver, 31 years old, brother in law
of the bride; Jean-Michel Tritsch?, weaver, 29 years old, cousin of the bride. All 4 witnesses residing
in Baldersheim.
Everyone signed.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 22 12:02 BST (UK) »
Oh Zefiro that's brilliant! Thankyou so very much! Yes that's the larger image I have too. Oh I'm so excited to have all that wonderful information!

Thankyou, thankyou.  :D :D

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 22 21:14 BST (UK) »
Oh Zefiro that's brilliant! Thankyou so very much! Yes that's the larger image I have too. Oh I'm so excited to have all that wonderful information!

Thankyou, thankyou.  :D :D

Aren't French records great! Not all quite as full as this, but wouldn't it be great if English records had given all this information!  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Indeed! I have looked at the Archives website a few times and have been a bit daunted and struggled to find what I was looking for, but now that I know such useful information could be waiting to be found I'll definitely go back and have another try.

Keep your eyes peeled goldie and Zefiro - I will probably be back for some more translation help.  ;)