Author Topic: Help with Irish place name - "Ballyronan near Tuam"  (Read 318 times)

Offline pbd2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Irish place name - "Ballyronan near Tuam"
« on: Sunday 24 April 22 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hello! I'm after some help with identifying the most likely location of death referenced in a death notice published on 20 July 1849 in the Anglo-Celt newspaper (which is based in County Cavan). It records the death of "Mrs. Talbot, wife of the Irish piper, who is well known in this neighbourhood". The notice states she died on 20 May 1849 at "Ballyronan near Tuam".

This location is ambiguous because the spelling of one or other place would seem to be incorrect. There's a town called Ballyronan a few miles from Toome in County Derry, so this is one option for the placename. There’s also a townland called Ballinrooaun in County Galway not too far from Tuam, but there may be others options as well. If I can pin down the location, given the specific date of death, I might be able to find a burial record. Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Irish place name - "Ballyronan near Tuam"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 22 16:42 BST (UK) »
Could be Toam, co Cavan

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Irish place name - "Ballyronan near Tuam"
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 22 15:51 BST (UK) »
William Talbot lived mainly in Dublin and Limerick (with some time in Cork) but perhaps his wife was local to Tuam?
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344