Author Topic: How essential is an Ancestry subscription for getting the most in my DNA test?  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 My DNA test kit is in transit to me. On Friday Ancestry offered me a 1-year UK subscription for £60 or worldwide subscription for £90. How is essential is it that I subscribe to one of these to get the most from my test ?

Zaph

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: How essential is an Ancestry subscription for getting the most in my DNA test?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 22 18:53 BST (UK) »
In order to be able to view not only matches but records, I'd say it's essential.

I'd also take the WW sub at £90 as it's a bargain = £1.73 p/w or £7.50 p/m

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How essential is an Ancestry subscription for getting the most in my DNA test?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 22 16:41 BST (UK) »
I've got my main tree and records on find my past and got an ancestry DNA done (or rather my father) for more matches. What is essential is to get your tree up on ancestry and link the DNA. When I get matches I check to see if they are active and then write to them for further information if I need it. I've been able to do a lot for free. If you don't have many records yet, it is a good offer, but if you have most of your records from elsewhere, I would try without a membership subscription. If you think you would like one later, wait for another offer. It depends a bit on your financial situation. kaysii

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
As an aside, slightly off topic, but related to this, can anyone advise me how to mark my ancestry account  for not automatic renewal? Currently they debit my credit card automatically, and as a result, I am paying>£90.00 for the essential package. 

I am thinking that if not set up for automatic renewal, I am more likely to be offered a better deal, and ideally I would love, for at least 1 year, a worldwide package so I can access records for, and search better for, my various USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand based ancestors and matches!

The only way I can see to do it, currently, would be to delete my credit card details from my account, but I am not convinced this would work, as it might leave me,  extended, for another year, but in deficit to Ancestry.  Any suggestions welcome. I would love to link my many USA matches up with my known and unknown relative who could have emigrated there, either from Ireland, or from here in Scotland, where they came to from various parts of Ireland
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 April 22 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

You should be able to go into Account settings and Cancel Membership.  This should then let your current subscription run until the expiry date. 

There is an offer mentioned regularly on here for half price membership which many people use but to get that your current sub must have expired
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 22 13:58 BST (UK) »
Can I clarify please?

If you don’t have an Ancestry subscription and you don’t have a tree on Ancestry can you still see all DNA related features and matches and contact them if you wish?

I don’t know how Ancestry DNA works regarding trees and records, and like Zaph I am wondering if everything DNA is available to non subscribers (apart from tree matching).

I’ve tested with FTDNA and uploaded raw data to My Heritage so am more used to how those sites organise DNA matches. No subs required.  :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 April 22 14:48 BST (UK) »
As an aside, slightly off topic, but related to this, can anyone advise me how to mark my ancestry account  for not automatic renewal? Currently they debit my credit card automatically, and as a result, I am paying>£90.00 for the essential package. 

I am thinking that if not set up for automatic renewal, I am more likely to be offered a better deal, and ideally I would love, for at least 1 year, a worldwide package so I can access records for, and search better for, my various USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand based ancestors and matches!

The only way I can see to do it, currently, would be to delete my credit card details from my account, but I am not convinced this would work, as it might leave me,  extended, for another year, but in deficit to Ancestry.  Any suggestions welcome. I would love to link my many USA matches up with my known and unknown relative who could have emigrated there, either from Ireland, or from here in Scotland, where they came to from various parts of Ireland
Hover over your name and click the second option Account Settings scroll down to near the bottom of the page and there is the option to "modify membership"
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 22 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, Guy & Rosie99, thanks for that advice!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 22 17:27 BST (UK) »
Can I clarify please?

Can I clarify please?

If you don’t have an Ancestry subscription and you don’t have a tree on Ancestry can you still see all DNA related features and matches and contact them if you wish?

Yes, you paid for that part of the site that deals with DNA when you paid for the test.
I've never had a sub with Ancestry but do have my DNA there.
I can see all my matches and contact them.
Where a sub would be handy is seeing unlinked public trees, also I can only see the tree preview of those who have a public tree linked to their DNA but sometimes if they have place attached to generations I can't see I can pick up earlier names from the map.
I did eventually put a tree on there as it helps with ThruLines, (can be helpful sometimes, can also be rubbish) and lets the common ancestor feature work.