Author Topic: Michael Hanlon NZ to US?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Hanlon NZ to US?
« on: Monday 25 April 22 01:51 BST (UK) »
Michael Hanlon ( alternative name O'Hanlon) born 1871.  Emigrated from Kilkenny in Ireland to New Zealand on the 'Howrah" in 1875. I have been trying to discover what happened to Michael for a while now. Among a family members papers (his sister Bridget) was found a letter from a JM Hanlon, San Francisco in 1903. A Michael Hanlon (born Ireland 1871) immigrated to SF on the SS Mariposa (via Sydney) in 1900.  Further, a Michael J Hanlon was naturalized in SF in 1904. He lost touch with his NZ family.
After that he disappeared. There have been one or two hopeful records but these have had to be eliminated. 
The Rootschat Community, in the past, have been a huge help to me in my family research and that of others and I am wondering, after so many years have passed, there might be additional records in the States which might throw so light as to what eventually happened to him?
Thank you.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Hanlon NZ to US?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 22 06:25 BST (UK) »
Is this the naturalisation record you have?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGG3-VZZW

What is the reference to Boston Mass?
I notice on the Mariposa list he is going to an aunt in “Phila” do you know who that would have been?

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Hanlon NZ to US?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 22 06:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and interest.   Yes that is the naturalization I have.  The Aunt mentioned as being in Phila is a mystery of sorts altho members of his mother's family left Ireland and were working in the cotton mills of Massachusetts. He arrived in SF 1900 and was naturalized in 1904 so there was no rush on his part to get over to the East Coast, it seems.
The Boston ref might be a red herring as the records for this gentlemen, from memory, list siblings with him. They were all back in New Zealand.
I might add his birth date was 13, May  (1871) and the place was Gowran which is just outside Kilkenny Town, Kilkenny.
Regards......