Author Topic: Searching for Caroline McGee  (Read 553 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Searching for Caroline McGee
« on: Monday 25 April 22 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello chatters! Can you help or advise?
I found the following record on Roots Ireland- the christening of Caroline McGee born 3.4.1867 and baptised in Christ Church Church of Ireland on 22/12/1869. Mother Maria Hobson and father Arthur McGee.
However I cannot find any further records, civil or church in relation to Caroline.
It seems her birth wasn’t even registered in the civil records!
I thought it was a legal requirement to register a birth with the authorities after 1864?
I do know that Arthur and Maria were married in Donaghenry Church Of Ireland in 1857 and lived in Dufless parish Ardtrea Tyrone but then moved up to Belfast at the end of the 1860’s.
Caroline had an older brother Benjamin born in Ardtrea, baptised Ardtrea church of Ireland in 1858. I did go to PRONI to check the baptisms at Ardtrea a few years ago and found Benjamin’s baptism but no further baptisms for the couple in the Ardtrea church records.
If anyone could help trace any records of Caroline or possible siblings I would be grateful!
It is possible that she emigrated as her aunt Caroline Hobson ( Hobbs) moved to Swarthmore Pennsylvania around 1863.
It is so typical that my ancestors didn’t stick to the rules and get their children’s births registered!!
Many thanks
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Caroline McGee
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 22 20:19 BST (UK) »
There is a death showing in 1868 for a 1 yr old Caroline McGee in the district of Armagh - 4th Qrt, vol. 16/ pg. 252. A possibility?

Monica

Added: Can't be connected. You mention a baptism in 1869.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 22 20:26 BST (UK) »
Yes I saw that one too. Thanks anyway Monica!
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 22 21:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder how the witness Eliza McGee for Benjamin's marriage connects to the MaGee family?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1880/11046/8040618.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 22 22:10 BST (UK) »
I wonder how the witness Eliza McGee for Benjamin's marriage connects to the MaGee family?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1880/11046/8040618.pdf

Monica
Hi Monica, I always believed that she was Benjamin’s sister, but again, like Caroline, no birth registration, no baptism, no marriage!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 22 19:13 BST (UK) »
I found the following record on Roots Ireland- the christening of Caroline McGee born 3.4.1867 and baptised in Christ Church Church of Ireland on 22/12/1869. Mother Maria Hobson and father Arthur McGee.
Christ Church where?

I do know that Arthur and Maria were married in Donaghenry Church Of Ireland in 1857 and lived in Dufless parish Ardtrea Tyrone but then moved up to Belfast at the end of the 1860’s.
I can't see the marriage in Irish Genealogy database or Family Search ???
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 April 22 22:02 BST (UK) »
Christ Church where? *Belfast*

I can't see the marriage in Irish Genealogy database or Family Search ??? * Maria’s surname is spelt HOBBSON*

Hi Aghadowey good to see you again, and thanks for trying to help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 April 22 23:26 BST (UK) »
Not sure how much else you have but ...

? Maria McGee, wife of dairyman, died 1875 at 4 Arkwright St.- informant Arthur McGee of 6 Arkwright St.-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1875/020637/7240411.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 April 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey, well spotted.
However for a long long time I thought they were mine, until the civil records were put on line and proved me wrong!
It’s a crazy coincidence that they lived so close but they have no connections to the family I’m researching sadly!

Many thanks for your efforts though!