Author Topic: 1921 Census - Half a street missing  (Read 8006 times)

Offline footiestuds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1921 Census - Half a street missing
« on: Wednesday 27 April 22 17:26 BST (UK) »
I've been researching a family who, according to the Electoral Registers, were living at 57 Wellington Grove Wavertree Lancashire from 1918-1925.

I was unable to find the address on the 1921 Census at Findmypast + also several other households - all the odd numbers from 47-61a are missing.

I contacted Findmypast who suggested that the properties may not have been built or possibly unoccupied so I pointed out that all these missing numbers/families were on the Electoral Registers for at least 1920, 1921 + 1922.

I contacted TNA who have looked into this using both the plans of division for Enumeration District 21 (even numbers 2-62) and 22 (odd numbers 1-45) + comparing them with the 1925 Ordnance Survey 25-inch maps, Lancashire CVI 15 and CVI 16 to see if the street was close to a boundary, where there might be a chance that the remaining odd-numbered properties were in another ED, where the addresses had been mis-transcribed, or where images were missing, for any reason, but all the surrounding streets are accounted for in these two EDs. They also agreed that all the properties have been there since at least 1905as shown by 1905 map.

The only conclusion is speculation as to why the registrar did not include odd-numbered dwellings above No 45, in the Plan of Division, and why the enumerator did not record them.

A disappointing result but at least the Electoral Registers have the names of approximately 16 families to help with research

So if anyone is researching this street/families hopefully this will help

Regards
Deb
Lawton - Blackhall - Sharp - Haddow - Smith - Cunningham - Rowley - Treling

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 Census - Half a street missing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 18:07 BST (UK) »
Yet if you put the house numbers in order, there's something rum about the house numbers.

Eg number 9 has 2 different schedule numbers, and they are not in sequence.

What names are you expecting to find?

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline footiestuds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 18:22 BST (UK) »
I agree there is something odd about the numbers (pardon the pun)

It could be 'a' numbers that alter the schedules maybe - there are 8 'a' odd numbers between 47 + 61

I was looking for Alexander Laurie b1880 + Alice Laurie b 1884 children Alexander George Laurie b 1910 + Edith Laurie b 1913
There is another Alice Laurie similar age with a son Alexander similar age but they are my Alexander's Uncles family

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 18:25 BST (UK) »
They also agreed that all the properties have been there since at least 1905 as shown by 1905 map.

Looking at the census before 1921 ;D

Wavertree, ED 19
Enumerator's Summary Book
Contents of Enumeration District
...East side of Wellington Grove No. 1 to 45...

I don't think it mentions any more of Wellington Grove as being recorded.
However, in the following pages of schedules/addresses/occupiers, etc., the entries for Wellington Grove are from number 1 (schedule 1), through to numbers 59 (schedule 27), number was 61 uninhabited, immediately followed by "a" numbers 47a to 61a (schedules 28 to 34)
Odd numbers only.

What to make of it?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 19:40 BST (UK) »
plans of division for Enumeration District 21 (even numbers 2-62) and 22 (odd numbers 1-45)

So in 1911, only the east side (odd numbers) of Wellington Grove were in ED 19.
In 1921 both sides, odds and evens, of Wellington Grove were in ED 21.

In 1921, number 2 hasn't been given a schedule number on findmypast's address search.
Even numbers 4 to 62 are schedules 24 to 55, although number 8 is schedule 127, and number 38 has schedules 63 and 84.

For the odds, house number 1 is schedule 376, going smoothly up to number 37, which is schedule 396
Number 9 is schedule 397
Number 47 is schedule 398 (is this correct?)
Number 45 is schedule 399
Number 43 is schedule 400

In 1911, 61a Wellington Grove (schedule 34) was followed by Wellington Road 2-22 (even numbers)  schedules 35 to 42.

In 1921, the odd numbers in Wellington Grove which end with schedule 400 appear to be followed by odd numbers in Wellington Road. Numbers 1 to 7 (schedules 401 to 404), then numbers 1a to 7a (schedules 405 to 408), numbers 1b to 7b (schedules 409 to 412), followed by even numbers.

Offline footiestuds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 22 05:46 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure about the comparisons, this is the first time in 17 years of research I've had to refer to districts but I'm keen to learn  :)

I have the 1921 plans of division for ED21 + ED22 if it helps, there appears to be some possible corrections on ED21 in blue writing ?

If it's not ok to attach delete or let me know  :)

Offline footiestuds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 April 22 07:17 BST (UK) »
Jonw65
For the odds, house number 1 is schedule 376, going smoothly up to number 37, which is schedule 396
Number 9 is schedule 397 - should be 39 - Keir + Johnstone family
Number 47 is schedule 398 (is this correct?) - should be 41 - Neary family
Number 45 is schedule 399 - 43 - Rowe family
Number 43 is schedule 400 - 45 - Rose family

There are two number 9 Wellington Grove
Number 9 schedule 397 - should be number 39 - Keir + Johnstone family
Number 9 schedule 382 - is number 9 - Bennett family

The family listed at number 47 are the Neary family.
They are at number 41 on 1920, 21, 22 Electoral Register

John + Alice Weaver are at number 47 for 1920, 1921, 1922 - not found them either...yet!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 22 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for that.
I got it wrong about the even numbers in Wellington Grove also being in ED 21 in 1921.
For some reason I can't get free results up with a number for Wellington Grove in the address box.
We are not too worried about them anyway!

You are right, the Nearys are schedule 398, which must be 41 (so findmypast have made a mistake with the house number being 47)

So, in both the 1911 and 1921 census, it seems that the enumerators were expected to do the odd numbered houses in Wellington Grove from 1 to 45.
But in the 1911 census they are in fact enumerated in ED 19 all the way up to 61a.

I am thinking that the registrars were unaware that there were more houses to do on that side, but perhaps in 1911 the enumerator in ED 19 used some initiative, and found out that 47-61a were not going to be recorded by anybody else.
Why did he not alter the contents of his district to show this?

And if this is the case, why wasn't the situated corrected for the 1921 census?
Well done for your determination to get to the bottom of it all, and contacting TNA about this!
John

Offline footiestuds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 22 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you - possibly if they'd continued with the summary books less of this would have happened.

As I said in my original post hopefully this may help anyone searching for families in this street

Regards
Deb