Author Topic: 1921 Census - Half a street missing  (Read 7997 times)

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 Census - Half a street missing
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 April 22 19:10 BST (UK) »
possibly if they'd continued with the summary books less of this would have happened

They did, but they were stored with and destroyed along with the 1931 census, can download the pdf mentioned here

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/latemar22news.htm#Truth1931

Offline footiestuds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 April 22 06:26 BST (UK) »
Jon_ni
Thank you for your reply - very interesting reading!

I was aware that the 1931 census was destroyed + TNA informed me that there were no Enumerators’ Summary Books for 1921 neglecting to say that they also had been destroyed.

As I said to TNA + Findmypast it is such a shame that such a vital part of family history, mine + approximately 16 other families, does not appear available from the 1921 census.

I can only see this as a bitter-sweet result as some information can still be gained from the Electoral Registers for this street.

Thank you to all who have helped, not only has it been informative but a learning curve for me too - it is greatly appreciated  :)

Regards
Deb
Lawton - Blackhall - Sharp - Haddow - Smith - Cunningham - Rowley - Treling

Offline footiestuds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 14:48 BST (UK) »
I reported the mistakes on the numbers + schedules to Findmypast, their reply:

I have reported this to our data team and they have corrected the addresses and sent me this update -

I've updated the transcriptions to reflect the true numbering - should be live tomorrow morning, all being well. However, what may be the customer's major concern is that they couldn't find 47 Wellington Grove. What looks like 47 is, as they say, 41. The house numbers proceed up to 45 and then move on to 1 Wellington Road. The schedule numbers are unbroken, though - which means that there was no return for 47 in 1921 (i.e. house unoccupied or, more likely, occupants away).

Hopefully sorted for future researchers!  :)
Lawton - Blackhall - Sharp - Haddow - Smith - Cunningham - Rowley - Treling