Author Topic: Help with Flaherty family of Dublin  (Read 445 times)

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Flaherty family of Dublin
« on: Friday 29 April 22 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I'm looking for any help figuring out the Flaherty family in Dublin.

my link begins with John Flaherty (b. c.1840) who marries Jane Gorey in 1866 in the Pro Cathedral in Dublin.

On the parish marriage certificate his parents are named as Patrick and Anne living at 2 Campbell place. I have identified that his father Patrick died in 1865 at 2 Campbell Place at age 70 (have ordered deaeth cert but not recieved it yet) and that Anne died in 1876 at 6 Holles Row (her son's house).

Both Patk and Anne are buried in a grave in Glasnevin along with two of their sons - Mathias (b. c1848) and Bartholomew (b. c. 1838). There was also one other sister, Ellen, who was a nun in Drumcondra.

None of the boys lived long enough to appear in the census other than Bartholomew who appears in King street in the 1901 census and says his birthplace is Dublin.

I have struggled to find any more info on this family and can't find any baptismal records for any of the children nor a marriage record for Patrick and Anne. I started my search in Dublin and have expanded it to nationwide and still nothing. Would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Flaherty family of Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 22 18:28 BST (UK) »

Sorry it was your couple, the transcript put me off

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 22 20:56 BST (UK) »
thanks for those. had not realised the Mathias and Ellen sponsors before. Shame i can’t seem to find Anne’s maiden name, or any of their childrens baptisms.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 22 02:57 BST (UK) »
Is this the marriage record of John & Jane with her maiden name incorrectly spelled?  28/10/1866

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ri5/

Still looking.....

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 April 22 08:42 BST (UK) »
Is this the marriage record of John & Jane with her maiden name incorrectly spelled?  28/10/1866
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ri5/
Still looking.....

Yes, if you look at original page it is Gorey but has been mis-transcribed as Josey.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 April 22 14:14 BST (UK) »
yes that is the correct marriage, gorey as a last name has proven equally as difficult ;D

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 May 22 05:56 BST (UK) »
I would suggest trying a different approach. The daughter who was a nun - presumably you know the order? Have you approached them for records? They may well have details of parentage/birth.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area