Author Topic: Broome family (Edinburgh)  (Read 1022 times)

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Broome family (Edinburgh)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 April 22 02:14 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on my paternal grandmother Pamelia/Pamela Broome (b. 1930) 
they came from the Musselburgh region of Edinburgh.

This is on a resources board.

Can you tell us where you got the info. of the Musselburgh connection & what context?

Annie

I know little information about the family but one thing I do know is that my paternal grandmother was sent to Scotland during the war because they had family in Musselburgh. I also got a fair amount of Scottish DNA on my Ancestry test from the paternal side (I also have Scottish Romanichal on my mother's side).
Ireland: Collins, Shinnick, Mahony, Fitzpatrick, Deady, Leary, Murphy, Carroll, Brien, McCarthy

England (Romany): Ellis, Young, Smith, Knight, Lanskford, Davey, Boswell, Throughgood, Cocket, Tolley, Lovell, Harris, Brown

Scotland: McGhie, Laurie, Douglass, Alston, Calderhead, Weir, Mcashlan

France: Dulieu, Rouviere, Correge, Chauderon, Tixier, Gilbert, Perrot, Galipeau, Besnard

Germany & Holland: Van Slyk, Van Vranken, Hansz, Kernin, Ohrendorff, Peltzer, Heyn, Getman

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 April 22 02:38 BST (UK) »
I think it's more likely the Scottish connection would be via the surname Laurie.

It's not a good idea to accept all finds on Ancestry hints as fact without verifying them as many trees have a lot of wrong info.

I have some DNA matches where a lot of the info. is correct then for some unknown reason they go way off the trail & the additions are sporadic...as if they've connected to the only record which has the same name, similar YoB but 100s of miles away  ???

You need to have your post moved to a County whether Scotland or England as your query isn't a 'Resource'.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 April 22 03:56 BST (UK) »
I think it's more likely the Scottish connection would be via the surname Laurie.

It's not a good idea to accept all finds on Ancestry hints as fact without verifying them as many trees have a lot of wrong info.

I have some DNA matches where a lot of the info. is correct then for some unknown reason they go way off the trail & the additions are sporadic...as if they've connected to the only record which has the same name, similar YoB but 100s of miles away  ???

You need to have your post moved to a County whether Scotland or England as your query isn't a 'Resource'.

Annie

Yes, I've noticed some of the information on my Irish family tree has been incorrect on Ancestry because I know for a fact the actual information! I normally tend to do additional research before accepting hints but as I said, I knew little about my father's family before researching, so any hint is a hint in this case!

Apologies, I'm new to the site and haven't quite managed to learn how to navigate around the forums properly yet.
Ireland: Collins, Shinnick, Mahony, Fitzpatrick, Deady, Leary, Murphy, Carroll, Brien, McCarthy

England (Romany): Ellis, Young, Smith, Knight, Lanskford, Davey, Boswell, Throughgood, Cocket, Tolley, Lovell, Harris, Brown

France: Dulieu, Rouviere, Correge, Chauderon, Tixier, Gilbert, Perrot, Galipeau, Besnard

Germany & Holland: Van Slyk, Van Vranken, Hansz, Kernin, Ohrendorff, Peltzer, Heyn, Getman

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 April 22 03:57 BST (UK) »
Mary Guelph Broome, nee Lawrie - records show her birthdate was 20/10/1893.

Her birth was registered in Scotland as plain Mary Lawrie - born 20/10/1893 Musselburgh, dau. of John Archibald Lawrie (Cattle Dealer) and Mary, nee Heckman, who married 27/9/1887 Musselburgh.

Her father died in 1897 aged 36 and 1901 census shows his widow Mary Lawrie in Musselburgh with children who have all been transcribed  on Ancestry as Laurie - dau. Mary has been listed as May.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 April 22 04:00 BST (UK) »

Her birth was registered in Scotland as plain Mary Lawrie - born 20/10/1893 Musselburgh, dau. of John Archibald Lawrie (Cattle Dealer) and Mary, nee Heckman, who married 27/9/1887 Musselburgh.

Her father died in 1897 aged 36 and 1901 census shows his widow Mary Lawrie in Musselburgh with children who have all been transcribed  on Ancestry as Laurie - dau. Mary has been listed as May.

Annette

That builds something onto my previous brick wall. Thank you - and now I have an explanation for the Scottish connection :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 April 22 04:47 BST (UK) »

Annette

Good work Annette  :)

Laurie/Lawrie...common variants.

OP, you might find you're related to our Lulu (Singer)  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 April 22 11:50 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People indexes them all as Lawrie, and Mary is indexed as May.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 April 22 15:30 BST (UK) »

Annette

Good work Annette  :)

Laurie/Lawrie...common variants.

OP, you might find you're related to our Lulu (Singer)  ;D

Annie

Always nice to find new relations! :D

Offline beyondsunrises

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 30 April 22 15:31 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People indexes them all as Lawrie, and Mary is indexed as May.

I've done a search on Mary/May and Lawrie does indeed seem to be the most common spelling! Thank you.