Author Topic: yet another GRO problem  (Read 9935 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: yet another GRO problem
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 December 22 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Having helped GRO add/correct quite a few I'd reported, I did give Birth Index details on one I was unsure of purchasing (because the baptised child had a mother recorded - bapt Register) and ask GRO where the mother's surname was and it came back NFA, so I knew there was likely no mother recorded in their GRO Volume either and unlikely to be the Birth Certificate I was seeking.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Excuse my ignorance but...

Can you tell me what the acronym 'NFA' stands for?...

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: yet another GRO problem
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 December 22 02:15 GMT (UK) »
NFA or No Further Action

Correcting an Entry
If signed in to GRO gov.uk on the GRO Menu, there was a button to report an error or update (one Certificate at a time), they check it and respond with either updated, or no further action (NFA) against my report.

I've asked for some checks after getting the Certificate, but you will need to note all the Index details down, year, qtr, vol, page, Reg District, name, to enter it with your correction update.

Having ...

Mark

See attached pdf 1.2, it looks like the GRO were anticipating some errors in their digitised records.

"1.2 Searching the indexes
Q9. Why is GRO publishing an online index when other organisations have already done this?
The new index will contain additional data fields to those which are already available and this will assist family historians to identify the correct record. In addition, the index is created from the digitised records and is not a copy of the existing index which is already made available by third party organisations. We will also be able to update our online index if errors or omissions have been identified.
"

Mark