Author Topic: Brownlee at Headless cross farm  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brownlee at Headless cross farm
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 May 22 09:43 BST (UK) »
Some Monumental Inscriptions from Cambusnethan old churchyard (the one at Cambusnethan village, not the one at Kirkhill.)

These 4 inscriptions are from adjoining plots, the Steele family is connected to the Brownlie/Brownlee/Brounlee family at Headlesscross in some way.
All the Brownlee inscriptions may be from one large plot, it's impossible to tell.

The 1st one is a large obelisk (it may have been pushed over since the inscription was recorded in 1982).
"1877  John Steel, Summerside, died 27 July 1894 aged 75 years. His wife Janet Storry died at Fernlea, Wishaw 28 February 1902 aged 81 years. Their daughter Ann Cunningham died 29 July 1875 aged 23 years. Their daughter Jessie Storry died 12 February 1894 aged 32 years.  His father John Steel died 12 January 1870 aged 80 years and his mother Annie Cunningham died 2 August 1885 aged 96 years."

Next one is a "flat stone" which was very worn (40 years ago!) and had an inscription in Latin on the lower half which has not been recorded.
"Margaret Marshall died 3rd May 1726 and this is the appointed burying place for Alexander Brounly and Janet Russell his spouse and their children 1733".

Third stone - (also very worn)
"James Brownlie died 31 December 1890 aged 91 years. His wife Lilias Barrie died 1st January 1887 aged 86 years".

Lastly, another flat stone.
"This is the appointed burying place of James Brounlie and Janet Waddell his spous. (sic)
(Large carving of a malt shovel) . James Brownlie, Headlesscross".
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Turner0502

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 May 22 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you every one and thanks Lodger, Yes Janet Steel 1737 Marries James Brownlee 1735 so all those in those plots you speak of are them and there descendants. So if I looked up Old churchyard in Cambusnethan i could find directions?

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 May 22 23:03 BST (UK) »
This is a very good map, you will see Morrisons supermarket, just look on the right and find Kirk Road, then Greenhead Road, the old churchyard is right on that corner, the entrance is next to Cambusnethan North church. If you plan to visit send me a p.m. and I would be happy to meet you and show you the Brownlee plot.
Here is the map link

www.maplandia.com/united-kingdom/scotland/scotland/north-lanarkshire/wishaw/?msclkid=93d20071cfe211ec9fb0660efaffe787
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Turner0502

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 June 22 18:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, Sorry I have been away and not on here.
We leave on Saturday and will be in Scotland July 4th, I am booked into the National Registrar for a day. Would I be able to find any history books,  on Headless cross Farms anywhere?
 I found the following: Could someone tell me what it means
No 118, 1781-09-15 pr21.267 James Brownlee of Headlesscross seised Sept 13 1781 in part of Headlesscross and teinds, parish of cambusnethan, on disposition by William Storry of Badallan

Offline Turner0502

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 June 22 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Lodger

Thank you for the offer to meet me. I am not exactly sure what day we would get out. We have a car rented for the 6th and 7th so would be be 1 of those days

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 June 22 18:57 BST (UK) »
I found the following: Could someone tell me what it means
No 118, 1781-09-15 pr 21.267 James Brownlee of Headlesscross seised Sept 13 1781 in part of Headlesscross and teinds, parish of cambusnethan, on disposition by William Storry of Badallan
It's an abbreviation of a Sasine from the Registers of Sasines for Lanarkshire. A Sasine is a record of a change of ownership of land.

Briefly, it tells you that William Storry of Badallan sold or gave part of Headlesscross to James Brownlee in 1781. The full sasine will have a lot more detail, including making it clear whether it was a sale or not, but much of it will be repetitious legal terminology.

William Storry of Badallan (b 1723) was my 4th great-grand-uncle. He inherited Badallan jointly with his brother Peter from their father Andrew Storry of Wester Braco and Paperthills. Peter had emigrated to the United States and William took on Peter's portion as well as his own. For some reason the Sasine transferring ownership from Andrew to his sons was not effected until 1758, nine years after Andrew's death. One of the witnesses to that sasine was James Brounlie, Tenant in Headlesscross of Badallan, and another was Robert Bryce, servant to the said James Brounlie.

Peter died some time before 1765, so it can't have been a need to realise Peter's portion that impelled William to transfer Headlesscross to James Brownlee in 1781.

It's all a bit complicated, actually. One of William's sons, Claud Storry (1770-1852) married Lilias Walker (c 1780-1862). Lilias' sister Jane Walker (c 1803-1892) married Alexander Brownlee (c 1801-1867), son of James Brownlee of Headlesscross and Martha Thomson. Another sister, Margaret Walker (c 1792-1879), married another Claud Storry (1792-1871) William's grandson by his son John, and yet another sister, Mary Walker (c 1789-1860), married Claud's brother John (1785-1878). The mother of these two brothers was Janet Thomson, but I do not know whether or not Janet Thomson was connected to Martha Thomson.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Turner0502

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 November 22 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Good day everyone, just a bit of an update. I did make it to Scotland this summer and thanks to Lodger I did find the cemetery and a lot of Brownlee Headstones. I did get to spend a day at the research center, unfortunately my phone would not connect to their Wi Fi, so I could not access my tree, but I did find some information. Also, the land registry, to search sasines was not open to the public at that time so was unable to search any info on landowners of Headlesscross Farms. But on a good note, I did find who owns it now and we were able to stop in for a visit and to get a bit of information on the history. But i am still searching for information on how the Brownlee's became proprietors of the farm.
I know it is a bit of a long shot, but I am wondering if there are people who are for hire to search sasines for me?
I have ancestors whom cencus say were proprietors of Headless cross Farms, Headless cross Mains Farm, and I would also like to find out information on Hall of Torbane Farm?
Any and all help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 November 22 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I know it is a bit of a long shot, but I am wondering if there are people who are for hire to search sasines for me?
Yes.

https://www.asgra.co.uk/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 November 22 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you had a look at Robert Brownlee's will & testament here on Scotlands People? You can't always tell from the index what type of document it is:

Robert Brownlee
24/8/1898
farmer, Hall Torbane, Bathgate,
d. 11/05/1898 at Hall Torbane
Linlithgow Sheriff Court
SC41/53/17

Two main mentions for Hall Torbane Farm in local newspapers, 1883 and 1899. Both times offering the farm on a lease. I would guess that Robert Brownlee took on the lease in 1883 and then it was being re-advertised, following his death, in 1899.

The farm was on the Torbanhill Estate www.scottish-places.info/towns/townfirst35223.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk