Author Topic: Ancestors’ Locales that make you smile  (Read 1510 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors’ Locales that make you smile
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 17:26 BST (UK) »
I wonder what the name Auphe Hole (Auf Hole) signifies?  Near Cotton Stones in Yorkshire.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 May 22 10:22 BST (UK) »
And just to the east of Stony Heap was a row of miners cottages called 'Happy Land'.

That name is stuck in my brain as the name of an Edinburgh house of ill-repute in "McLevy", a series of stories from Radio 4. Well worth a listen; all the episodes are available from the BBC website.

In my home town we have an area known as Botany Bay, which sounds marvellous until you know its name derives from the type of characters who frequented its canal basin.

We no longer have "sh*t Pot Row", a terrace without back doors, so the only option was to carry chamber pots out into the street and round the end of the block.

I found one of my lot in service at "Paradise Farm" in Leyland. On the same sheet was a place called "Purgatory". I'm sure estate agents have since got rid of that name!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 May 22 13:13 BST (UK) »
  We don't seem to have many of those descriptive place names round here, but there are farms with names like Poorstart, Coldharbour and Hearts Delight, which I suppose are relatively recent. Finglesham and Kittington are quite pretty. There are not many double-barrelled names, except a few like Upper and Lower Hardres, and  Stelling Minnis (ancestral territory!). The Minnis part means common land, from an Anglo Saxon root.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 May 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
I've nothing very funny but a brother of my grt grandfather lived at a farm called Cherry Orchard  which I think is a lovely name.  (not the Chekhov one!)

It's on the other side of the river from  The Rock where some other ancestors lived.

Also a few at World's End!

:)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 May 22 22:43 BST (UK) »
My OH doesn't like to be reminded that an ancestor of mine lived down "Clean Alley" whilst in the same era, OH's ancestor lived down "Sewer Lane"   ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 May 22 22:52 BST (UK) »
I lived in Snailbeach, Shropshire.
Not by the sea but beach is a corruption of “ batch “ a deep valley as in Church Pulverbatch ,near Church Stretton.
Viktoria.

Crows’ Nest Dingle,
Rattlinghope
Roman Gravels .
Lord’s Hill.
The Bog