Author Topic: Lane Family  (Read 799 times)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lane Family
« on: Monday 02 May 22 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Anyone come across the surname Lane being Romany or Traveller? Tracing a family of Lanes that married into me Great Nans Clark(e) trying to tie up loose ends Regions ive seen em so far our Stow on Wold Shipston on Stour Chipping Norton Cotswolds area (wocs Ox Berks Gloucs)and 2 census records for Notting Dale? and Kent? Many thanks Dunc

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lane Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 22 20:01 BST (UK) »
Connected post here

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=861727.9

Doesn't appear to be a Romany connection
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 22 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replies!
On further research it seems Sarah Lanes Mother was a Davis from Manchester her Father Was borm Chipping Norton not manchester as thought so looks like i need to tie in if indeed a link between Her Father a Lane from Chipping Norton with Lane Romany family from nearby Shipston on stour Stow Moreton in marsh etc

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 22 09:53 BST (UK) »
Do you have any documents etc that suggest a Romany connection?  If not - what are you basing your thoughts on?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 22 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Im not assuming they are just researching to see if the Lanes from that area were connected or not to mine lots of records of Lanes from Cotswolds being Travellers and as my Clarkes were i was just interested to see if any of the Families theu married into were also Romany or not surnames such as Smith Archer Mason Green Harding Webbs Gardiner James etc to name a few
Many Thanks
Dunc

Offline jimmy blue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 23 00:42 BST (UK) »
I'm from Lane stock, they were based around Ledbury, herefordshire. They settled early, they and a few families squatting on Wellington Heath near Ledbury got the right to permantley, settle. They turned their place into a cider making inn and mobile grocers. They used to take in other travellers, musicians and itinerant workers, mostly navvies, who they provided provisions for. They later moved north (county Durham, North Yorkshire) as gardners/ag labourers/railway labourers and show people. When i got in touch with some local historians they told me that the inn in Wellington Heath, Ledbury became a laundry, then a house which some Clarkes were living, circa 1960s. Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but might help.

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 September 23 09:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry, rather a late reply as I've not been on rootschat for ages!

I know Lane can be a Romany surname, as can Smith and Gardiner as I have these in my family tree. I believe Harding can also.

I'd be interested to hear if you have any Gardner/Gardiner/Gardener related to your Lanes. Although the confirmed evidence I have on mine is all from the South East of England (Surrey, London, Kent etc)  :)

Hi
Im not assuming they are just researching to see if the Lanes from that area were connected or not to mine lots of records of Lanes from Cotswolds being Travellers and as my Clarkes were i was just interested to see if any of the Families theu married into were also Romany or not surnames such as Smith Archer Mason Green Harding Webbs Gardiner James etc to name a few
Many Thanks
Dunc
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL

Offline jimmy blue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 September 23 10:22 BST (UK) »
Actually, I remember records for a Gardiner family in Wellington Heath, Ledbury, when looking at the censuses a good while ago. I can't atest for sure their ethnicity, but mine and many others were certainly Romany families working as ag labourers around the Herefordshire Hop Yards. I'm told by local historians that they came to the area likely as Quarryworkers or at least squatting around there and were giving the opportunity to permantely settle by the lords of the land, because they had become vital to the areas labourforce.

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 September 23 11:11 BST (UK) »
Actually, I remember records for a Gardiner family in Wellington Heath, Ledbury, when looking at the censuses a good while ago. I can't atest for sure their ethnicity, but mine and many others were certainly Romany families working as ag labourers around the Herefordshire Hop Yards. I'm told by local historians that they came to the area likely as Quarryworkers or at least squatting around there and were giving the opportunity to permantely settle by the lords of the land, because they had become vital to the areas labourforce.

Many thanks. That could potentially be very useful to help find my 'missing' Gardner (If I remember rightly I had various options for him but no clue as to which one he may potentially be). 
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL