Author Topic: In need of advise Census /BDM  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: In need of advise Census /BDM
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 May 22 12:01 BST (UK) »
I see some”sheepfolds” on those maps Forfarian.  :)
Yes.

You can just about make out the dyke round the infield at Bunchaolie on the satellite view.

Beautiful country.
Yes, but I personally wouldn't want to live there in this day and age. 20 miles of single-track to the nearest main road, twice as far to the nearest town, Fort William, and three-and-a-half times as far to Inverness, both via the A82, which passes through magnificent scenery but is a busy road, especially in the summer months.

And as for the climate - it is pretty much the wettest part of Scotland. Then there are of course the midges.

You hadn’t put me off till you mentioned midges.  ;D

John and family must have had a hard life.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 May 22 13:12 BST (UK) »
I see some”sheepfolds” on those maps Forfarian.  :)
Yes.

You can just about make out the dyke round the infield at Bunchaolie on the satellite view.

Beautiful country.
Yes, but I personally wouldn't want to live there in this day and age. 20 miles of single-track to the nearest main road, twice as far to the nearest town, Fort William, and three-and-a-half times as far to Inverness, both via the A82, which passes through magnificent scenery but is a busy road, especially in the summer months.

And as for the climate - it is pretty much the wettest part of Scotland. Then there are of course the midges.

You hadn’t put me off till you mentioned midges.  ;D

John and family must have had a hard life.

You would soon get used to it just take plenty Antihistamine creams  ;D ;D

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 May 22 13:38 BST (UK) »
You never get used to it. I speak from experience.

Antihistamine cream helps with the itching after you've been bitten, but it doesn't stop them biting in the first place.

There are dozens of supposed midge repellents on the market, but none of them are really effective.

Fortunately midges don't like sunshine or wind. They only emerge in dull to dark, still, damp weather.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 May 22 13:52 BST (UK) »
You never get used to it. I speak from experience.

Antihistamine cream helps with the itching after you've been bitten, but it doesn't stop them biting in the first place.

There are dozens of supposed midge repellents on the market, but none of them are really effective.

Fortunately midges don't like sunshine or wind. They only emerge in dull to dark, still, damp weather.

It was meant as a joke  ;D.. I myself know what like it is to be bitten by these midges and my bites becoming infected ..very wet here in the we coast so plenty about  ;D ;D

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 May 22 14:12 BST (UK) »
Rain and midges are two of the reasons why I moved back from the west coast to the east coast! :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 May 22 14:25 BST (UK) »
Rain and midges are two of the reasons why I moved back from the west coast to the east coast! :)

That's strange I came from the East Coast to the West Coast been here to long to move now  ;)