Author Topic: William Broderip (1779-1857), brewer, Wedmore/Beckington, Somerset  (Read 1260 times)

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Broderip (1779-1857), brewer, Wedmore/Beckington, Somerset
« on: Tuesday 03 May 22 16:06 BST (UK) »
I'm stuck on William Broadribb (c.1779 – 1857)
Here’s what I know so far…
The marriage record of my direct ancestor Mary Anne Broadribb (1817 - ) gives her father as William Broadribb, brewer and her residence as Wedmore. Census returns for Mary Anne give her birth place as Beckington.
There’s a baptism for Mary Anne in 1817 in Beckington – parents William and Sarah Brodribb.
There are a number of other baptisms in the same period in Beckington for children of William and Sarah - Maria (1816), William (1820), Caroline (1822), Amelia (1824), Samuel (1826) ... and I think there must be one for Elizabeth c. 1829 but I haven't found it.
Mary Anne marries in 1839 and moves to Weston Super Mare, but in the 1841 census for Wedmore, there is a William Broadribb (50) living with daughters Amelia (15) and Elizabeth (13) in the household of a publican (which seems to tally with the description of him as a brewer in Mary Anne’s wedding record). A Samuel Broadribb (15), who I believe is his son, is listed as a servant in another household in Wedmore in the same census. There are no other Broadribbs in the 1841 census for Wedmore.
A wedding record for Caroline Broadripp  to John Stacey in Exeter in 1846 gives her father as William, a brewer, and Maria Broadripp is also present.
An Elizabeth Broadripp marries Edwin Purnell in 1851 in Bath and again her father is William Broadripp, Brewer.
Samuel Broadribb, a brewer resident in Wedmore, marries Harriett Bagg in 1852 in Wedmore – his father is William Brodribb, brewer.
Thus far I’m persuaded that this is all the same family. It looks like William and Sarah are living in Beckington then move to Wedmore with their children.

Then, the 1851 census has William (72) - a widower and brewer, born in Beckington - living with wife Elizabeth in Wedmore. Note the age isn't consistent with the 1841 census but as there are no other Broadribbs working as brewers in Wedmore, I think this must be the same guy. It seems that his first wife Sarah has passed away and he’s remarried. There is a burial record for Sarah Broadrib in Wedmore in June 1839, age 51, although I can’t find the grave. This could be her given the absence of other Broadribbs in Wedmore.

This brings me to William's marriages.

There is also a record of a marriage between William Broderip and Sarah Sheppard in Oct 1815 in Woolverton, which is near Beckington where the Broadribb children are baptized.

Then there’s a marriage between William Broadrib and Elizabeth Wade in Wedmore in 1844 (in the 1851 census he's living with Elizabeth Broadribb).

Are these two women the right spouses for William? I can't find any other corroborating evidence. I can’t find any baptism record for Sarah Sheppard in Woolverton (although there are several possibilities between 1785 ad 1795 in nearby parishes).

William's baptism is also elusive. My best guess is a William son of Samuel and Ann Broadribb, 8 Feb 1778 in Beckington. But this relies in an inferred birth year based on the 1851 census – but the age here is inconsistent with the 1841 census.

Also, the marriage of William to Sarah in 1815 in Woolverton describes them both as OTP. So is William originally from Woolverton, rather than Beckington?

I’d really appreciate any feedback but especially in relation to William’s marriages and the baptisms / parents of William and his wife Sarah.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Broderip (1779-1857), brewer, Wedmore/Beckington, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 22:05 BST (UK) »
Then there’s a marriage between William Broadrib and Elizabeth Wade in Wedmore in 1844 (in the 1851 census he's living with Elizabeth Broadribb).

If it helps that William is described as a widower, full age, brewer. 
Residence Wedmore, father William labourer.

Elizabeth full age, spinster, servant. 
Residence Wedmore, father James labourer.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 08:23 BST (UK) »
Ref: The Genealogist

Same Day
Elizabeth Broderip daughter of William and Sarah baptized 14 October 1835 St Mary Wedmore
Charles Broderip son of William and Sarah baptized 14 October 1835 St Mary Wedmore

---------------
William Broderip buried 11 February 1834 age 14 St Mary Wedmore.
Looks to be the son bap. 1820

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 08:56 BST (UK) »
Ancestry

Charles Broadrib buried Wedmore 16 June 1846 age 15

So possibly born circa 1830/31 and baptized 1835 with his sister Elizabeth

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 09:44 BST (UK) »
Doesn't Mary Ann marry 21 May 1837 to James Withey at Beckingdon or is she the daughter of another
Broadrip family.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 09:51 BST (UK) »
Based on his age at death
William Broadril (sic) son of William and Jane baptized 23 March 1788 at Beckington

From his second marriage we know his father is William
--------------
There is a Joseph and Ann also having children baptized possibly a brother

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your input.

Milliepede - I had that info already but good to have it confirmed!

Amondg - I think this might be a mixture of similarly named people - Beckington in particular looks like a hotspot for Broadribbs - I'll cross reference against what I already know. I think the info about Elizabeth looks to be worth further investigation.

To be continued!

Thanks again.

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 16:53 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling with the new info ...

If Charles and Elizabeth are both born in Wedmore c.1835 why aren't they on the census for Wedmore in 1841? Eliz. is there with her father, but aged 13, which puts her birth date c.1828. There is no Charles either at that address or any other - I've been through the entire Wedmore census and cannot find him. Also, FindMyPast transcript says father William is a 'pensioner' whilst in the later 1841 and 1851 censuses he's still working as labourer/brewer.

Is William the father of the William in question (1779 - 1857)? The 1844 marriage to Eliz. Wade says so, but this really relies on that being the correct marriage - we only know William is with an Elizabeth Broadribb in 1851 but not her maiden name.

BTW not trying to be a know it all here - just testing the hypothesis  : )

Mary Anne is my direct ancestor - married Edwin Gould - so I think the one you found marrying in 1837 is different (there are LOTS of Broadribbs in Beckington).

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 18:20 BST (UK) »
I believe Elizabeth and Charles were born after the move to Wedmore and their baptism delayed as they were both baptized on the same day.
Elizabeth circa 1828/1829 and Charles circa 1830/31.

Ancestry:
Ages were rounded in 1841

Charles is "Chs Broadribb "age 10 living with Harry Green - Taylor age 30 and Elizabeth age 20

( Harry is transcribed as Harry Greem instead of Green)

a few houses down is Caroline age 15 a female servant living with William Wall - Butcher age 25 and Mary age 30