Author Topic: Mundy Wright- Markeaton Workhouse  (Read 1605 times)

Offline flame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mundy Wright- Markeaton Workhouse
« on: Sunday 04 September 05 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
Mundy Wright died in Markeaton Workhouse 17th Feb 1880. Does anyone know where he may be buried. I'm presuming the dead were all buried in the same place. If anyone can give me an idea of where to look I'd be grateful.
Thanks
Flame
Wright, Stevens, Whitworth, Burn, Craven

Offline bagpuss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mundy Wright- Markeaton Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Flame,

Derbyshire Record Office, Matlock holds the following workhouse records.

Guardians' minute books (1837-1930); Admissions and discharges (1840-50, 1853-1911); Births (1840-1957); Deaths (1840-1914); Creed registers (1869-93); etc.

I also came across this which may of interest -

Death in the Workhouse

If an inmate died in the workhouse, the death was notified to their family who could, if they wished, organize the funeral themselves. If this did not happen, the Guardians arranged a burial which usually took place in a local cemetery or burial ground. The burial would be in the cheapest possible coffin and in an unmarked grave, into which several coffins might be placed on the same occasion. Unclaimed bodies could also be disposed of by donating them for use in medical research and training.

Source -

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/

Take a look it's well worthwhile, it gives lots of interesting information on Workhouses and the poor souls who, through one way or another, found themselves there.

Regards,
Sue    :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wilson - Coleorton Leicesershire/ Swadlincote Derbyshire.
Bundy - Ross Herefordshire/ Birmingham
Dugdale - Isle of Man

Offline flame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mundy Wright- Markeaton Workhouse
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 05 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
Thanks for the info. I'll try the record office.  I've looked at that website and I found it very interesting.

Thanks again
Flame :D
Wright, Stevens, Whitworth, Burn, Craven