Author Topic: Victorian birth cert 1903 stamped CANCELLED  (Read 4668 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian birth cert 1903 stamped CANCELLED
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 09:31 BST (UK) »
It looks to me that the parents were not married and the father registered the birth by himself (certificates states not present) under mothers name.
It could be the couple were living as man and wife and had not even considered they were not married as being a block for the father registering the birth.
Cheers
Guy

Guy, sorry, but you are wrong.  The heading for that particular column has absolutely NOTHING to do with the mother's name.    The baby's given names are recorded in that column as "Elizabeth Myrtle".

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone so  much for your    help,  really great  resource to have  this.  :)

Yes they were married and had children  as seen on the cert.

I think this is    a very sticky story yet to reveal itself,    but i have some thoughts,    i am  really looking forward to the reply in a few weeks from BDM   to see if i'm   right. 

But a baby's reg has def been   cancelled  and re-assigned.  But why !!

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 13:42 BST (UK) »
You can search the Vic. Registry without a surname.

Registration number:  80005 / 1903
Family name:  DOVE
Given name(s): Elizabeth Myrtle
Place of event:  Glen Wills, VIC, Australia
Mother's name: SHEEAN, Mary Helen
Mother's family name at birth: SEALES 
Father's Name:  SHEEAN, James Randolp

No purchase is available

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
Well Found Debra.

Three ancient living rellies have been phoning my husband and I ...AT THIS LATE HOUR... all  asking me to shout out:

Victoria BDM certs best in the world, and Debra's  post is TOPS

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 15:53 BST (UK) »

Family name:  DOVE
Given name(s): Elizabeth Myrtle

Her married surname was DU VE, and it looks to me as if the amendment was made in 1991.  I cannot find her anywhere after her husband died in 1947.

Is the  80005 / 1903 just a reference to an amendment?

Debra  :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
It looks to me that the parents were not married and the father registered the birth by himself (certificates states not present) under mothers name.
It could be the couple were living as man and wife and had not even considered they were not married as being a block for the father registering the birth.
Cheers
Guy

Guy, sorry, but you are wrong.  The heading for that particular column has absolutely NOTHING to do with the mother's name.    The baby's given names are recorded in that column as "Elizabeth Myrtle".

JM
Yes, as other have noted as well, I agree I got it wrong, I should have paid more attention
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Debra
Great job !!!!
I had tried to do that search and it would not let me.

I   see no purchase available  on your post.     Have you seen  that  before .

Is  it SEALS  or  any chance its SCALES

I have been trying  to fill in where

Mary Helen Scales 
Born - 25/12/ 1889   Double Gully  Victoria
Mother Henrietta Maria  Scales
FAther - not printed on cert but was def  Henry Andrews ( HArry )   and had life long r/ship with Mary
 Helen .

Mary Helen born Scales
Missing 1889 -1909

1909 -Enrolled POSING AS SCHOOL   AGE  into Mt Erin Convent Wagga  to  do their highly regarded singing program. She won everything,    excelled in every State music exam   and  left in 1912 . to tour Australia  with  TIVOLI  we have  dozens of Newspaper articles   across Aust to WA

We know people change their name  commonly  in fam history but she took it way to far  she was forensic in her  attempts to   keep people away from her birth info .

1912 - Adult  Catholic Baptism WAGGA -changed birth age and date
June 1916 -Marriage -changes age and MOTHERS NAME  on cert
Husband - Engineer  Ernest  Frederic Harris   1880 -1959
 April 1917 - First son is born - she changes her age on his NSW  cert
1919 - She changes her age on his  NSW   cert

About 1922  ish    she  and  Ernest  Harris  move to  Malaya  where he is a very very  well known Engineer and President  of the  Tin  Dredging Assoc , they live all over  Malaya and she  does a lot of charity concerts for single mothers and  children, she is a   Soprano  and  still performing a lot   in Malaya , the 2  boys  were in boarding school in Melb  and traveling up for holidays .

In 1931 she dies suddenly in Malaya and the boys are told it was post a Gall Bladder surgery  and reported in papers as post a short illness .  My Father attempts to verify this as an adult and  cannot   i'  ll save you all  that.

I spend years combing  consular records  (   Aust seen as British    then )  etc, all archives  all over the place   and  all the expected things in Aust and Malaya  . We cannot apply for death cert from Malaya  as not correct  papers etc...  The  large Catholic  Church  say they have zero on the burial Register .   We know exactly  where the funeral was etc..

We have never believed  she died as a result of an illness  its been  very odd  all along .

About 6 months ago i  found in the Singapore Archives ( like TROVE)   that i constantly re check -
A double page spread  printed Jan 1932 ( she died Aug1931 )  it was a 2 pg retrospective on  Expapts life in 1931 in Malaya. 

One of the many columns  in that 2 pg spread   was called " TRAGIC ACCIDENTS "    and featured my G/Mother Mrs E ,   F HArris -- however zero details of what accident  except it name the correct town  i have tried to  get more info  a million diff ways but no luck .

I have read the yearly Medical book for the region in Malaya for the European Hosp  hoping to snag a lead as well .   Whatever happened to her  up there is as much as mystery  as her true birth details in Australia. 

One  a  * hypothesis we have   after so many years  of seeing the issues at  both ends  of her life  is that .
Her husband  during their marriage   was told the  true  story of her birth  and when he was confronted with  the  sudden death he would have had to  submit what he knew to be true and correct  info about her as the informant  for her death up there .    And perhaps  this has led to  him expsing secrets that he  has   somehow  prevent ed leaking back to the Aust families . 

Mary Helens own birth cert  1889  has an unusual  change written  by the Registry 
She was   born 25/12/1889   Reg in feb 1890  and in June  the   Registry has written   in the middle of the record
" Brother in eighth  column should read uncle"  So what triggered that . ?

I have wondered if in that  short period as a teen did she have a baby ? prior to 1909 into Mt  Erin
In one Newspaper article where she was interviewed  on her last trip back to Australia  she said she spent her early years in WAGGA .

So it's all a very tricky story. 
Where was she  1889 -1909 ?

She never appeared  to have much of a r/ship with her Mother and her Mothers informant did not  put her on  her death cert but neither did  her Fathers and they all  knew about Mary she w as very very well known. 

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 22:10 BST (UK) »
MAry

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 22:11 BST (UK) »
That is her Birth  cert- see Reg note in middle  cant post whole page /  doc its too big it says .