Author Topic: Best family tree software?  (Read 13565 times)

Offline sammidav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Best family tree software?
« on: Sunday 06 March 05 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Now I've got quite a lot of information in my family tree I am getting lost amongst it?
Can anyone recommend any software? Have been looking  but the reviews seem to conflict!

Also could anyone tell me how much useful information would be in family Tree maker which says it features 5 UK Data CDs; English Parish Records, Scottish Parish Records, 1851 Census (selected Records), British Chancery Vol.1 & Vol. 2

Thanks
Sam

Dawson, Abraham, Duck, Dolphin, Bromley, Milnes
Elwell, Gorst, Smith

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Best family tree software?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 05 19:51 GMT (UK) »
To answer your questions in order

1. Everybody has their own personal favourite piece of software and there are several threads in Rootschat on this very topic ... my own favourite is "Family Historian"

2. If the contents of these disks are comparible to the ones given away on other "collections" then the answer is that they would be of limited use ..... that said if you decide to go for that program look upon these disks as a bonus NOT the reason for choosing the program
(a personal opinion only)

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
Re: Best family tree software?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 05 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sam,

I bought the Family Tree Maker version you mention before Christmas, and so far have found nothing on the extra CD's of use.  The month's free trial on Ancestry, however, was really useful.  The program itself is great; it is easy to use and gives you various report/tree options to view your work.

Whatever you decide to buy I would advise you to shop around, I bought mine on eBay in a rush of excitement thinking I had found a bargain price - £35 - and have since seen it for £20.

It may also be worth your while to investigate some trial options on software packages to see what you are comfortable with.  A number of packages were reviewed in ComputerActive magazine last year (article is here http://www.computeractive.co.uk/features/1159331) which may also help you decide.

Once you start keep a backup - it would break my heart to lose all my info now  ;)

Hope this helps.
Stephanie.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline coltman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Genealogy Software
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 August 05 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good genealogy database please?  I've had a look around, and as usual theres way too much choice.  I looked at ancestrys 'family tree maker', but don't want one that links and searches the net, just a basic database to organized the chaos of my research.  Any help greatfully appreciated.

regards,

andy coltman
Grt: Coltman, Peach, Kirk, Storey, Lattimer, Thorpe, Foers, and Sayles... May The Foers Be With You
x2: Neale, Smith, Cole, Bursnell, Swann, Stanley, Bellamy, and Greaves.
x3: Goodwin, Spencer, Jackson, Bingham, Laughton, Parkin, Pepper, Bell, Elliott, Cater, Morton, and Oates.
Five surname are edible items :)
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

Re: Genealogy Software
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 August 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Its worth picking up a copy of a family history magazine witha disc that contains a few trial copies of software, so you can try before you buy.  I tried The Master Genealogist - a very complex but powerful package, but I didn't give it the time to really get to know it.  It seemed to import my GEDCOM from GenesReunited quite seamlessly, however.

cheers

Paul

Offline coltman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 August 05 15:05 BST (UK) »
Cheers for the advice Paul.  Just checked out the magazine site and theres a version of 'rootsmagic 2' trial to download.

regards,

andy
Grt: Coltman, Peach, Kirk, Storey, Lattimer, Thorpe, Foers, and Sayles... May The Foers Be With You
x3: Goodwin, Spencer, Jackson, Bingham, Laughton, Parkin, Pepper, Bell, Elliott, Cater, Morton, and Oates.
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 August 05 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I used to use The Master Genealogist but like Paul says its pretty complex but very good.  Just recently I decided to buy a new programme and also tried the trial version of Rootsmagic and thought it was really good.  I bought it and have found it very easy to use and does everything that I need well worth buying.

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coltman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 August 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Floss, just playing with rootsmagic2 trial at the moment, but it only accepts 50 names in demo.  Will look at the other facilities it has to offer, but this looks fine for what I need.

many thanks,

andy

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 05 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Your question is a bit like asking which car should I buy (how long is a piece of string ...).

I use TMG (The Master Genealogist) and wouldn't dream of using anything else.  But that's me!

And most programs - like most cars - are good, all have the basic requirements, and all certainly do the basic job (just as all cars tend to get one from A to B).  But are you after a bubble car, a family runabout, a 4WD, a Rolls, a Lamborghini or whatever.  Do you want a program where you can relax while it tells you what to do - or one where you need to be alert and over which you have almost complete control?

It's probably not a bad idea to start with a free program - like PAF which you can download from the FamilySearch site.  And also have a look at the many free demo programs which one can try.  Put a sample (say 100 max) of your people into a few programs, play around with each program, and see what you think of how comfortable you are with the program.

Good luck,

JAP
PS: And, if later you decide you need a more powerful program (albeit it is a bit complex) you can always move to TMG knowing that you will almost certainly be able to import virtually all of your data into it via TMG's GenBridge - not just the limited data in a GEDCOM but virtually all of your data.