Author Topic: Best family tree software?  (Read 13561 times)

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Best family tree software?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 August 05 13:53 BST (UK) »
12000 !?!? - wow............ :o

Cas

Aberdeenshire: Nelson, Middleton, Dow, McLennan, Hendry
Ross & Cromarty: McLennan, Macaulay
Midlothian: Nelson, Lumsden
Berwickshire: Lumsden, Melrose
Stirlingshire: Dick
West Lothian/Lanark: Wark
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)
Somerset: Quartley
NZ: Thompson (Dunedin)
also Poland, Belarus, Romania

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 September 05 08:08 BST (UK) »
I've also used Family Historian for the last year and found it very easy.  Again there are the "behind the scenes" customising that you can do to create your own queries, diagrams and reports as well as lots of standard ones.

One of the big advantages for me is the User Group which has its own site and list and excellent support.  It is constantly being worked on and improvements made, and since I bought it there have been I think, three upgrades, none of which were charged for.

Definitely check around for prices though, I bought from Amazon for considerably cheaper than the Family History Fairs were charging.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 September 05 09:12 BST (UK) »
I use a program called Great Family.  I got it a few years ago on a (computer) mag cover disc as a trial version, and then paid my $30 for the licence.

The interface on Great Family is very user-friendly, you can add loads of pictures, it generates web pages (which I use locally as a quick reference tool), and also produces a complete Tree in Flash.

The one area which is missing for me is a narrative style output .

I keep thinking there's something better, but have not taken the plunge yet.  Family Historian looks good, but I'd miss my local web pages from Great Family.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 September 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
That's true Julian, although FH does produce the narrative reports, as yet there isn't the option to export to html, although I believe this may be on the wish-list.  That's why I've used Gedmill which did only take about 2 minutes to produce the website.   

More time was taken uploading it to the webspace about 10-15 minutes as each of the trees are a separate gif file, I don't know whether other programmes are quicker.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Paul E

« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 September 05 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Did you use Gedmill 1.5 or 1.5Pro?
Does Gedmill generate the site's index page, or can you use another index page and then link to the gedmill-created pages?

Seems like its not a bad little package, after looking at your site.

cheers

Paul

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 September 05 12:11 BST (UK) »
genopro is an excellent program for gedcom to HTML conversion ..... only one of its attributes and while the full commercial version may not appeal to everybody I've been trying the beta version for the new version which has not been publicly announced http://www.genopro.com/beta/ and is available for a free download.

Offline J.H

• RootsChat Member
  • family tree
    • View Profile
family tree maker - which edition??
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 September 05 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

could anyone advise me as to which family tree maker 2005 would be the best buy??

I have looked on the internet & there appears to be many editions ranging from £20 to £70 +?

Is it wise to spash out & buy the most expensive with all the additional cd's attached or should I stick to the less expensive, probably making it easier to understand, (I need something fairly straight forward!!)?

I would like to purchase the most comprehensible. Could anyone advise me??

Many thanks - JH
tomlinson
bacon
pick
hoff

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 September 05 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello JH

FTM 2005 is easy peasy to understand.  I upgraded from one of the original editions, so not sure what the differences are in the newer offerings, but my advice would be: if you are not researching in the US, you can probably manage without all the CDs!

I think i am right in saying 2006 has just been issued - not sure that the extra bells and whistles are worth it there either - it appears to be the addition of colour to your charts.

Have a good look and either get hold of a sample disk for one or more programs that you are considering or download a trial version if possible.

Best of luck!

Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 September 05 13:18 BST (UK) »
Dear all

I found this interesting item on "Top Ten Reviews" (from the USA).  It is a review of ten genealogy programs, and quite comprehensive in looking at the ten chosen proigrams.

http://genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble