Author Topic: Best family tree software?  (Read 13560 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Best family tree software?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 September 05 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Julian,

That's an interesting and informative site.

Though, as I keep saying (harping?!), it's like asking which CAR is BEST!

An unanswerable question ;D

It's like asking how long is a piece of string :)

Virtually all genealogical computer programs are very very good (they wouldn't still be around if they were not), and reliable, and do the basic job very well indeed.

There's no absolute BEST - just what is best for YOU (i.e. for each person) given each person's own requirements, whether the person wants a quick and easy program, how much time the person is prepared to spend learning and practising, whether the person wants the program to decide what to do or wants to make those decisions him/herself, the constraints of the person's purse, etc, etc.

8)

JAP

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 September 05 17:37 BST (UK) »
Did you use Gedmill 1.5 or 1.5Pro?
Does Gedmill generate the site's index page, or can you use another index page and then link to the gedmill-created pages?
Paul, you can try out Gedmill for free, only takes a couple of seconds to download and it does no harm to your gedcom file, doesn't make any changes or anything, just produces the html files in a separate folder so you can see whether you like it.  Yes it did produce the index page, but the website said that you couldn't customise the free version, also it didn't include the trees at the top, which was something I wanted, so £15 seems more like a donation than an actual purchase and worth it since I believe I've got a website starting off as I want and can add to it as I please.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 September 05 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I use Family Tree Maker 10 and have no problems with the 12600 ancestors on it including photos and a lot of text.  I just love collecting all branches and twigs as it helps you go back.  Importing gedcoms and merging is very easy and searching for duplicates.  Tend not to use the match on the web as it is very slow with 12600 names but even the small selection tends to be American biased.  I tend not to use the CDs as not very relevant yet to my research.  Produces outline and detailed word docs and prints out the box tree or fan.  Been very happy with the FTM software since I bought version 7 about 7 years ago.  Never had a problem.

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline langtry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 September 05 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam,

I have been researching for some years now and have tried just about all the genealogy programs available,these comments are just my own personal thoughts for what they may be worth,One of the best I have used was Generations De-luxe 8,and I still use it but alas it is no longer available,and it could not be used to its full potential in Windows XP.
the program I am currently using the most is Personal Ancestral File (PAF 5) with its sister program for creating tree's etc,Good programs and they are both free to dpwnload from Latter day Saints,try them,I do not think you will be dissapointed.

Regards,

langtry
Researching--BOYLAND.
Area's---Portsmouth,Southamptom,Dorset,Devon,Somerset.

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 17 September 05 18:09 BST (UK) »
Legacy is the best program around IMO. And you can download it for free. If you want the extra bells & whistles, it costs just US $20 to upgrade.

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Index.asp

The latest version - number 6 has just been released.  :)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 17 September 05 18:57 BST (UK) »
Why BD ?

What are the bells & whistles?

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire