Author Topic: DNA matches to both Paternal and Maternal Branches, Help needed  (Read 1282 times)

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA matches to both Paternal and Maternal Branches, Help needed
« on: Sunday 08 May 22 11:44 BST (UK) »
Please can somebody point me in the right direction.  I have this week on Ancestry two new DNA matches.  Both are reported as belonging to both sides,  I assume that means my mother and father were belonging, this is a complete surprise and I would obviously like to research this.
   One is 62cm 1% shared the other is 25cms 1% shared. Neither have DNA matches with my Paternal line but match with my maternal DNA matches.  Ancestry say we are 4th-6th cousins. Neither match have carried out any significant research so their trees are not much help, one does have his 3xgg grandparents as the same as mine on the paternal line.  I have also messaged both but received no replies, which is sad.

My tree is very large and up to this moment I have not found any correlation with the two families.

Please can you advise me as to where to start on this mammoth task.

Thanks
  Suzanne

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA matches to both Paternal and Maternal Branches, Help needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 May 22 12:34 BST (UK) »
You seem to contradict yourself.
the title: DNA match to both.
Body of message: Neither have DNA matches with my Paternal line but match with my maternal DNA matches.
Maybe the issue as such is the "Both are reported as belonging to both sides" (whatever that may mean)

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 May 22 13:17 BST (UK) »
   Ok, I will try to explain again.

On my DNA matches on Ancestry I have two matches which Ancestry say are a match to both sides.  This I take to mean they are belonging to both my mother and father.

Both have on their tree as their 3 and 4th great grandparents respectively, this is Charles Barnhouse who is my 3rd great grandfather on my Paternal line.   Neither have any ancestors from my maternal line on their trees.

If I click on shared matches, all shared matches with each individual are from my maternal line, my 2nd great grandparents William and Gwenllian Williams.  I have checked with known Barnhouse DNA matches and they too have no match with these individuals.

AS for " both are reported to belonging to both sides" is exactly what I mean,   Ancestry is telling me that both DNA matches are descendants of both my Paternal and Maternal sides.

Hope that clarifies my initial post. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 May 22 13:43 BST (UK) »
Are you getting the 2-side match from Thru lines/Common Ancestors?  If so go by your tree if you are sure that your tree and the others' are correct.

I have at least one case where Ancestry have allocated a match to the wrong side. I always do a thorough check of my matches trees.

Add - I usually-re-do the parts of their trees that are possibly shared with mine as a check.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 May 22 14:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry - duplicate post!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 May 22 14:22 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry but I don't see how
 Ancestry" tells" you the match is from both sides
Usually you tell ancestyr when you are choosing relationships

You can choose father mother's or both sides

If you do find a connection to both sides it doesn't necessarily mean that your parents connect it could be that one of their parents connects to your mother and the other parent connects to your father
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 May 22 14:27 BST (UK) »
Unless ancestry has changed functions again

I found a match that I'd put as matching both sides but I'd mistyped

I do have a few that match both sides in convoluted ways but like you the matches are too small to be significant and I have the advantage of managing my paternal aunt's DNA and mother and maternalcousin's DNA and mums second cousin  so I can always double check if they match them too for links
 to 6 different great grandparents
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 May 22 14:38 BST (UK) »
  Thanks Gadget

I checked my DNA results yesterday and found these two old matches, where Ancestry has written "Both sides" underneath the 4th-6th cousin. A recent addition as it was not there before. I didn't know that ancestry did this. 

I have assumed, rightly or wrongly, that this meant that they were related to both my parents. One match is of little use as there are only 15 people on their tree the other has a good tree up to his 3x gggrandparents which I have on my tree as the same.

I could try to "pad out"  the smaller tree to see where it leads, but  that would difficult as they have only named one branch.

As we are 4th-6th cousins I have looked up the tables and found that we are either 2nd cousins 3x removed or 3rd cousin 1 removed.   Perhaps I will use that as a staring point after checking their trees.  A good idea?

Regards

Suzanne

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 May 22 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brigimac,

As far as I can recollect I have not chosen how to present my relationships on DNA but perhaps I did.

Understand what you are saying about my parents not necessarily connecting, it was just my first thought.

Unfortunately, both my parents have passed away and being an only child I have no other person to take a DNA test, which is a shame.  Plus my parents siblings have also passed.

Thanks

Suzanne