Author Topic: What happened to Bridget Quinn?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Bridget Quinn?
« on: Sunday 08 May 22 20:01 BST (UK) »
hi. posting this in general Ireland board as it concerns more than one county.

My ancestor Thomas McDonnell married Rosanna Lynch circa 1890 in Dublin (no marriage record)
Their son James Francis McDonnell was born on 01 Oct 1891 in Dublin.

If we follow Irish naming patterns, Thomas' father would be James. In the 1911 census Thomas is noted as being born in Westmeath.

Theres a baptism matching his age and location in 1858 with a father James and a mother Frances. I spoke recently to his grandchildren and they told me he was married twice and resided in Athlone growing up.

There is this marriage certificate which matches all of these. (parents names and residence)

Thomas McDonnell marries Bridget Quinn in 1880 in Navan. (27 Jun)
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635258#page/34/mode/1up

However, my trouble with this theory is that I cant seem to find a death for Bridget or births for any children. Could Thomas and Bridget have seperated and that why him and his second wife never married? Honestly just wondering as I'm not familiar with bigamous marriages in Ireland  ;) any advice would be appreciated

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Bridget Quinn?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 May 22 23:01 BST (UK) »
Here is the Thomas and Bridget marriage as recorded in  Civil Registration. 
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1880/11042/8038976.pdf

Have you found Thomas on the 1911 census?

Could you pl put up the link to the 1901 census. 
Does it have Rosanna on it? 

Is this Rosanna
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Arran_Quay/Beresford_Street/1336776/

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 22 03:34 BST (UK) »
I looked first for a candidate Bridget McDonnell or Donnell in the 1901 census in Meath and Dublin. None.

Then looked for deaths of same in same places between 1880 and 1901. Just one candidate death emerged, this one in 1884

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06326/4814218.pdf
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 22 04:03 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Bridget had a daughter, Frances, born 12/7/1881, baptized Navan 13/7/1881.
Their address was Trimgate St.

Above per parish register, via RootsIreland
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 22 04:26 BST (UK) »
Frances' birth is in the civil registration, but heavily disguised!

I searched just for "Frances", no surname, which returned the birth of:
"Fanny McDonald" 12/7/1881, in Navan.
If you look at the registration entry you can see that the informant was a nurse, presumably she varied the surname. Meanwhile, Fanny is a standard substitute for Frances (the system identifies it as such). However, the birth is clearly the correct one.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02818/2033882.pdf

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 22 04:35 BST (UK) »
If we allow for the same surname variation as found on the birth registration of Frances, viz, McDonald for McDonnell, then I can also provide a candidate marriage for Thomas and Rosanna Lynch.

Thomas McDonald married Rose Lynch in Lobinstown, Co. Meath, 11/8/1890.

As per parish register, via RootsIreland.  Note that I can't seem to find this marriage in the civil registration records!

No idea if this is the correct marriage, but it is the only candidate I can come up with in Britain or Ireland. And it seems to match well with the birth of a first child in 1891.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 May 22 04:56 BST (UK) »
Excellent careful deductive work Wexflyer!

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 May 22 10:53 BST (UK) »
I dont know how you do it Wexflyer!!! Thank you so so much :D

As for the 1901 census, they were living in Cook Street in Dublin however the census forms for the house number they were living at dont seem to be online.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 22 12:03 BST (UK) »
Related thread about Thomas & 2nd wife
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=860053
Cowban