Author Topic: What happened to Bridget Quinn?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Bridget Quinn?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 May 22 14:41 BST (UK) »
hm  :-\ I've looked at the rootsireland Thomas McDonald/Rose Lynch marriage and there is a note on it : (E)  [SERGEANT OF THE MEATH MILITIA] . Although im not sure who this refers to, Id assume Thomas which doesnt match up at all. Any advice  ???

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 May 22 15:26 BST (UK) »
hm  :-\ I've looked at the rootsireland Thomas McDonald/Rose Lynch marriage and there is a note on it : (E)  [SERGEANT OF THE MEATH MILITIA] . Although im not sure who this refers to, Id assume Thomas which doesnt match up at all. Any advice  ???

Why do you say that? The militia were part time soldiers. Popular as an extra source of income for labourers. Thomas was a labourer, wasn't he?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 May 22 15:38 BST (UK) »
I suppose you could be right. maybe its just because it’s something I hadn’t seen before. also because he lived in Athlone (and Dublin of course) the majority of the time but considering we cant know his every movement it could be possible  :) his grandchildren also told me he helped build the steeple on St Mary’s church in Athlone however I cant find any evidence of this as there doesnt seem to have been any building work done on the church in the appropriate timeframe.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 May 22 21:22 BST (UK) »
I think it was mentioned in passing that Thomas could not be found in the 1901 census?

If (if) we assume that your Thomas was the Thomas in the Meath militia, then there is a possible straightforward reason. He may have been in uniform. The militia battalions were reserve battalions for regular regiments. On the outbreak of the second Boer war in 1899 (date ?), many militia battalions were called up to replace regular units sent to South Africa. Some were even sent overseas themselves. As a consequence, many militiamen are absent from the 1901 census.

I don't know which militia battalions were/were not called up ("embodied").
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 May 22 21:49 BST (UK) »
I mean as much as it could be possible the rest of the family should still be in the census and also their address has not been uploaded.

his occupation a year prior and a year later was labourer so im not sure.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 May 22 22:53 BST (UK) »
I mean as much as it could be possible the rest of the family should still be in the census and also their address has not been uploaded.

his occupation a year prior and a year later was labourer so im not sure.

Not if they were with him in an army barracks somewhere else. Sergeants were entitled to have families live with them.

And his occupation would normally have been labourer. Militia was part time - a few weekends, and one week a year.

I have no idea if the 1890 marriage is actually yours or not. Just pointing out that it is consistent.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 May 22 22:58 BST (UK) »
When, roughly, was Rosanna born?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 May 22 23:01 BST (UK) »
I think it was mentioned in passing that Thomas could not be found in the 1901 census?

If (if) we assume that your Thomas was the Thomas in the Meath militia, then there is a possible straightforward reason. He may have been in uniform. The militia battalions were reserve battalions for regular regiments. On the outbreak of the second Boer war in 1899 (date ?), many militia battalions were called up to replace regular units sent to South Africa. Some were even sent overseas themselves. As a consequence, many militiamen are absent from the 1901 census.

My GGF (born in England to Irish parents) was missing from 1901 census and from a studio photo of his wife & child which was taken around 1900. He was in the county militia and was sent to an overseas garrison to replace the regular army unit which was being deployed to South Africa for the Boer War. GGF served abroad for a year and a half, then was discharged unfit for further military service. He returned to working in a mill.   
Cowban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 May 22 23:18 BST (UK) »
I believe this could be Rosanna's birth cert:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03386/2241442.pdf

as said before, without civil marriage cert it's difficult to confirm something however their second child (thomas/rosanna) was named Patrick and so was the father in this record.