Author Topic: A case of a Big-Head ?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A case of a Big-Head ?
« on: Sunday 08 May 22 23:18 BST (UK) »
Why else would someone take up so much space on the enumerator's page. Pretty much passes for what in our social media age as 'shouting'  ;D

Entry in 1861 Wanstead, Essex.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: A case of a Big-Head ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 May 22 23:22 BST (UK) »
The John Hancock of the census.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 May 22 23:28 BST (UK) »
His occupations are quite impressive. If one's career is a sponge, he squeezed every last drop out.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 22 06:50 BST (UK) »
What makes you think that? It could be he thought he had to fill out the census return accurately giving his three occupations.
Don't forget what we see is what the enumerator wrote not what the householder wrote as we do in the 1911 census

If you look at the return the enumerator (the person who wrote what we can now see) filled out the persons name as usual on one line, he later scored that out and repeated the name in large letters and put curly brackets around the man's occupation details (a practical step to relate that man to the rest of his family as otherwise it may have been assumed that the next entry was a different household).

Note the enumerator's instructions for the return:-
"2.      In the first column, write the No. of the Householder's Schedule you are about to copy, commencing with No. 1 ; in the second column the name of the Road, Street, Square, &c., where the house is situate, and the No. of the house, or any distinctive Name by, which it is known ; then insert in the third column the figure 1 for an Inhabited House, and copy from the Schedule into the other columns all the particulars concerning the persons mentioned therein, making use of any of the authorised contractions (see below), taking especial care to class the ages of MALES and of FEMALES under their PROPER COLUMNS."

Note also the contractions allowed.
full details may be seen at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rdn/
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 22 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your take on the issue Guy, but when it comes down to it, even HM Royalty - Bless their cotton socks, haven't been known to claim so much space.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 22 09:05 BST (UK) »
His wife's entry seems quite modest. Are there any requirements for that occupation  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 May 22 09:46 BST (UK) »
I was guessing that this chap actually WAS the enumerator, and headed off to Page 1 to find out.

Unfortunately Ancestry don't have the Enumerator's Walk, but the Sample page.   :( :(
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 May 22 09:57 BST (UK) »
If I've got the correct page, I think the enumerator was a Richard Butler Lidler

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 22 10:00 BST (UK) »
Aghhh
...  1861,

Ummmm ...

So if anyone has a Big Head,  it is the enumerator,....  perhaps he needed a well qualified doctor for himself....  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.