Author Topic: War Diary 3 March 1916  (Read 337 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
War Diary 3 March 1916
« on: Monday 09 May 22 01:17 BST (UK) »
Two words not legible in war diary... see attached.
"Shelling continuous and it was difficult to even   ( ?) the wounded.  Shelling slackened towards evening.  By 4 p.m.  (?) snow storm was raging which continued throughout night."

Anyone able to decipher?  War diary of battle where my late husbands grandfather Donald Stewart was killed - with the Gordon Highlanders.  thanks for any help
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: War Diary 3 March 1916
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 22 05:47 BST (UK) »
Shelling continuous and it was difficult to even move the wounded.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 22 06:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Tony - just couldn't see it, but obvious word.  Donald Stewart was one of the more unlucky ones who was listed as "Killed"... no grave known.   There is still another word I can't figure out - the word after "4 pm".. Not sure if it refers to the snow storm.... 
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 22 06:27 BST (UK) »
By 4 pm still

Not sure about the "still"
Compare the writing with adjacent pages in the war diary.

There is a gap between "still" and Snow Storm (separate statements?)

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 22 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hiya Tony,  What do you think about "Hail"???  the first letter could be an ornate H - - then the last two letters look like "il " to me!  Don't have access to previous diary pages... but now thinking "Hail" could be a fair option???
It really brings home the actual experiences they had in these WW1 trenches.. such a battle, so many deaths and wounded.. and then incredibly foul weather to top it! 

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 22 07:53 BST (UK) »
If you look at the first letter on "the "in the line above, it looks the same as the first letter of the missing word....so maybe that reads "thick" snow storm?

djm297

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 May 22 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you djm297

I think you could be absolutely correct.  The first letter is definitely a "t" as in "the" in line above.  And I was seeing a dot above the letters as in "Hail",  but it could definitely be a dot above the "i" in "thick".  Looks like I have had questions answered!  Brilliant help again from everyone.

I thought I had just about found all available info on this Donald Stewart, but contacted the Gordon Highlanders Museum in Aberdeen, and though it took some time, they did very good research for me.  And all volunteers! Was extremely impressed with it.  Certainly worth a round of applause!  And thanks to Rootschatters again!

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 May 22 09:22 BST (UK) »
By 4 pm thick Snow Storm - looks good to me!

Tony

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 22 09:52 BST (UK) »
 Thank you all!