Author Topic: Might have to buy a lottery ticket this week  (Read 555 times)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Might have to buy a lottery ticket this week
« on: Monday 09 May 22 13:05 BST (UK) »
So at the weekend I paid my first visit to the graveyard where I knew my 4x G-Granda was buried. But as he was an ag lab most of his life and died in 1841, I wasn't holding my breath in the hope of finding a gravestone. As it turns out, I literally could've done so, because it was the second one I looked at. And as a bonus, next to him was the daughter I'd lost track of as soon as she married and became a Smith.

I was stunned - this has never happened to me before and am pretty sure it must be a record of some sort. Even better, his headstone was about 5in thick, so now I'm coming round to thinking that he, his widow, or his children were a little more comfortably off than I have long believed...  8)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Might have to buy a lottery ticket this week
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 22 15:12 BST (UK) »
Definitely worth the visit!

Most of my lot were not well off enough to spend cash on headstones, so a visit to the churchyard where one of my ggg gfs was buried did not hold out much hope,

However, he had been a stonemason, as were two of his sons. They knew a good piece of stone when they saw it, and his stone was as crisp as the day it was carved. Best in the churchyard!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Might have to buy a lottery ticket this week
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 22 15:42 BST (UK) »
Oh cool - I found a gravestone of one of my mason forebears years ago but it never occurred to me that he might have carved it himself (his first wife died years earlier) so I might go and inspect his handiwork (and see if the 'handwriting' changes when he's mentioned...)

EDIT: Just checked my info on the 4xGGF mentioned in OP and on two of his children's marriage records from after his death, he was referred to as a quarryman. I wonder if he made the most of the opportunity like yours did...