Author Topic: Can anyone help me find death cert for Isabella Stephen?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me find death cert for Isabella Stephen?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 00:18 BST (UK) »
Looking at the valuation rolls, Miss Isabella Stephen is tenant of 126 Great Western Road in 1915, 1920, 1925, 1930, 1935, 1940.

Press and Journal 14-7-1928 (in list of donations to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary):

Miss Isabella Stephen, 126 Great Western Road (Ward 14), £1

Press and Journal 3-2-1940 (in list of donations to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary):

Miss Isabella Stephen, 331 Great Western Road (Massage and Electrical Department), 10/-

These lists of donations to ARI include ones made by groups (eg church congregations) and individuals. Where a specific ward or department is mentioned it is likely that the donor or someone they knew well had recently been there as a patient.

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 21:11 BST (UK) »
Have you checked out the Isabella Stephen death in 1938 aged 63 - could tie in with a bequest in 1939

Thanks Annie, Carol. Yes I have checked this record and it's not the same Isabella. This one is married and has different parents.

I'm actually looking for my grandmother (Gertrude Ross Nee Stephen). Isabella was her Auntie and looks like she brought her up. (Gertrude was living with Isabella in the 1911 census and was married from Isabella's house in 1925). I thought if I found Isabella, it might lead me to Gertrude.

But both seemed to have completely disappeared! I thought Gertrude may have signed Isabella's death certificate. Also less likely that Isabella remarried, so thought Isabella might lead me to Gertrude.

Tearing my hair out here 😂

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 21:13 BST (UK) »
Well, it wasn't England, Wales, the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland or New Zealand.

Thanks so much for checking! Where the heck has she disappeared?!?!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:03 BST (UK) »
I too have a great, great grandmother, Isabella Stephen, born 1849, who completely vanishes after 1876. I wouldn't be surprised if aliens have been gradually abducting all the Isabella Stephens.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:11 BST (UK) »
I'm actually looking for my grandmother (Gertrude Ross Nee Stephen). Isabella was her Auntie and looks like she brought her up. (Gertrude was living with Isabella in the 1911 census and was married from Isabella's house in 1925). I thought if I found Isabella, it might lead me to Gertrude.

But both seemed to have completely disappeared! I thought Gertrude may have signed Isabella's death certificate. Also less likely that Isabella remarried, so thought Isabella might lead me to Gertrude.

Can you give us a timeline for Gertrude please as her name should hopefully prove easier to find than Isabella.

Does Gertrude have a middle name?

Do you have an ancestry online tree which might get hints?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:32 BST (UK) »
Out of frustration for you & thinking the inscription may have been done years after the event, I thought possibly a mix up with dates (which I have in my own family), I checked this one out but sorry, not your Isabella...

STEPHEN ISABELLA 76 - 1948 - 168/2 165 Aberdeen Southern District

The only thing I can think of (apart from emigrating) is, she'd possibly drowned, body never recovered i.e. no DC?

Have you looked in newspapers?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:58 BST (UK) »
Background for Gertrude here, Annie www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=859799.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 23:09 BST (UK) »
Background for Gertrude here, Annie www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=859799.0

Monica

Thanks Monica. Still on with it! It's been a mixture of tearing my hair out and hitting my head against a brick wall! 😂

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 23:12 BST (UK) »
Out of frustration for you & thinking the inscription may have been done years after the event, I thought possibly a mix up with dates (which I have in my own family), I checked this one out but sorry, not your Isabella...

STEPHEN ISABELLA 76 - 1948 - 168/2 165 Aberdeen Southern District

The only thing I can think of (apart from emigrating) is, she'd possibly drowned, body never recovered i.e. no DC?

Have you looked in newspapers?

Annie

Hi yes. I've tried trawling the newspapers but mainly concentrated on the Aberdeen area. Could only really find those donations to the hospital in there, the later ones made on her behalf made by her sister Eliza Tulloch. I can not for the life of me work out where she has gone! My only other thought is if she were put in an asylum etc but there would still be a death certificate with that noh?