Author Topic: How to burn files to dvd disc from Microsoft Word  (Read 756 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to burn files to dvd disc from Microsoft Word
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 May 22 17:34 BST (UK) »
Last week I bought a multi-pack of USB memory flash drives from Tesco for £24 for 3 X 32Gb.
Massive amount of storage for the money.
I've loaded a complete Linux Operating System with all the usually required apps onto one to use as a Rescue Disk for my older computers.
Now I'm going to store ALL my genealogical researches and photos onto another, make copies, then send them round family and descendants so they can continue researching after I've moved on.
cheers, Ian

Hate to tell you but on Amazon they are 4.99 each. or 15.49 for 3

Thanks, but I'm wary about giving my bank card details on t'internet.  I had checked them out on the web but as my security blanket is to get my daughter or her partner to buy them for me and I give them real folding money 'cos they must be shareholders in deliveroo and amazon the amount of stuff they buy and have no fear of being scammed.
Serendipitously, I was on my way to the last football league match of the season ( Darvel versus Kilwinning Rangers ( aka the Buffs )), and I was too early so I stopped at Tesco at Galston en route and blundered / stumbled across them and thought they were twice the price but they were there, speaking to me, they said, " buy me now and you won't be scammed" so I did.  To recover the overpayment I did without my Pie & Bovril and left with 5 minutes to go because we were getting 'humped'.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 May 22 17:44 BST (UK) »
IN - I'm seriously hoping that I have misread your latest message.  :-\

YOU are wary of giving out your own bank details on-line, BUT you are willing to allow your daughter to give hers on YOUR behalf  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 May 22 17:55 BST (UK) »
From what IN has said it seems his daughter is already buying masses of stuff from Amazon so is happy to do that for him too.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 May 22 18:02 BST (UK) »
From what IN has said it seems his daughter is already buying masses of stuff from Amazon so is happy to do that for him too.  :)

Correct!
even my wife is an Amazon aficionada, but she has her own finances and does her own thing, even manages to get refunds now and then, but it's a question of who do you trust most !!  :P
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 May 22 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hey ho!   :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 May 22 12:16 BST (UK) »
I would seriously council against using any optical media for storage.

Very many computers today do not have optical drives installed and they have not done so for very many years.

Our iMac is ten years old and does not have an optical drive, many new laptops do not have one either.

Ten years from now accessing your CD disk may be rather difficult.

You are better off using at least a pair of USB memory stick drives, ideally not using a cheap bulk batch buy but a pair of quality thumb drives of different makes.