Author Topic: Ann Mumford - Balsall/Kineton  (Read 617 times)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Mumford - Balsall/Kineton
« on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Ann Lowe (nee Mumford) (abt 1822-1870) married Joseph Lowe at Kenilworth in October 1850. Her father is listed on the marriage certificate as ‘William Mumford’, her profession is a servant and residence is also Kenilworth.

Ancestry suggests that Ann Mumford maybe ‘Mary Ann Mumford’, parents William and Ann, baptised in Kineton in 1823 (there is an ‘Ann Mumford’ listed in the 1841 census for Kineton). However, in both the 1851 and 1861 census her birthplace is listed as ‘Balsall’ (the same as her husband (who was born in nearby Honiley)). I’m not sure if this is incorrectly recorded, or Ann was born in or around Balsall. It may be worth noting that Balsall Common is quite far away from Kineton (about 20 miles).

All I can say for sure is that her dad was a ‘William Mumford’ but I have no idea where Ann may have been born, or who her mother is. I would appreciate any information that anyone may come across, as I’ve been stuck here for around a year.

Many thanks!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Mumford - Balsall/Kineton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:38 BST (UK) »
There's a William and Mary Mumford baptising children in Balsall in the 1820s and 30s. Not found an Ann, though. He's a farmer. They live in Hampton In Arden

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 23:00 BST (UK) »

What is her fathers occupation on her marriage certificate.

Have you found him on any census.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 22 08:19 BST (UK) »

Ancestry suggests that Ann Mumford maybe ‘Mary Ann Mumford’, parents William and Ann, baptised in Kineton in 1823

For info on the above 1823 baptism her father William’s  occupation is a Miller there’s a marriage in 1850 for Mary Ann Mumford to Charles Wilcox her father William’s occupation is a Miller

All I can say for sure is that her dad was a ‘William Mumford’

William’s occupation is a labourer

there is an ‘Ann Mumford’ listed in the 1841 census for Kineton

There are another two Ann Mumford’s born c1826 in Warwickshire on 1841 census both have occ F.S (female servant)

Bear Lane, Harborne, Kings Norton, Staffordshire & Warwickshire and Wellesbourne Hastings, Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 May 22 23:28 BST (UK) »
There's a William and Mary Mumford baptising children in Balsall in the 1820s and 30s. Not found an Ann, though. He's a farmer. They live in Hampton In Arden

I had a look at William and Mary as they certainly fit the dates and location. Sadly trawling through baptisms for Hampton In Arden, I didn't find any Mumford's before Sarah. Most of the Mumford children appear to have stayed with their parents into adulthood, making Ann an anomaly.

Ancestry suggests that Ann Mumford maybe ‘Mary Ann Mumford’, parents William and Ann, baptised in Kineton in 1823

For info on the above 1823 baptism her father William’s  occupation is a Miller there’s a marriage in 1850 for Mary Ann Mumford to Charles Wilcox her father William’s occupation is a Miller

All I can say for sure is that her dad was a ‘William Mumford’

William’s occupation is a labourer

there is an ‘Ann Mumford’ listed in the 1841 census for Kineton

There are another two Ann Mumford’s born c1826 in Warwickshire on 1841 census both have occ F.S (female servant)

Bear Lane, Harborne, Kings Norton, Staffordshire & Warwickshire and Wellesbourne Hastings, Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire

That's excellent - I think we can safely exclude the Mumford's from Kineton. A step closer!

Yes William is listed as a labourer.

I think I've seen both Ann Mumford's in the 1841 census - If I remember correctly, one was in Coventry and one was in Warwick. Unfortunately, I don't think either record tells us much, considering they are both servants, though Coventry seems most likely (based on proximity).

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 22 06:42 BST (UK) »
Only one I can find that is a Labourer

1841 Census
Kineton, Warwickshire
William Mumford 60 Ag Lab
William Mumford 15 Ag Lab

The above William appears to be buried 27 Aug 1844 age 64 (FreeREG)
William above may have married Diana STEELEY 25 Mar 1850, Father William a Labourer

1851 William is born c 1821 Kineton

Not that I can find Anns bapt either!

I followed up on Maria BLIZARD the Marriage witness her mn was Lowe so likely Josephs sister.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 March 24 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Christenings for William and Mary of Balsall
Mary 17.9.1815 at Tanworth in Arden laborer of Nuthurst (possibly dying 1828 Stratford on A)
Thomas born 1.2.1818 bapt 4.10.1821 at St Martins Birmingham but living Solihull labourer (moves to Gloucestershire 1864 onwards)
Elizabeth 11.6.1824 at Solihull of Shelley Green labourer
Sarah 19.6.1828 Hampton in Arden farmer Balsall
William 9.10.1831 Temple Balsall labourer
Can't see Charlotte or Henry.

Marriage looks like William Mumford and Mary Fardoe    19.5.1815 St Martins Birmingham
wit John and Sarah Billingsley
So there is a gap 1818-1824 between their children.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 March 24 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Christenings for William and Mary of Balsall
Mary 17.9.1815 at Tanworth in Arden laborer of Nuthurst (possibly dying 1828 Stratford on A)
Thomas born 1.2.1818 bapt 4.10.1821 at St Martins Birmingham but living Solihull labourer (moves to Gloucestershire 1864 onwards)
Elizabeth 11.6.1824 at Solihull of Shelley Green labourer
Sarah 19.6.1828 Hampton in Arden farmer Balsall
William 9.10.1831 Temple Balsall labourer
Can't see Charlotte or Henry.

Marriage looks like William Mumford and Mary Fardoe    19.5.1815 St Martins Birmingham
wit John and Sarah Billingsley
So there is a gap 1818-1824 between their children.

Ciderdrinker

Interesting! I have Ann with an estimated birth of 1826 in 1851 census, 1822 in 1861 census. Sadly the marriage cert only lists 'of full age'. On the marriage cert in 1850 Ann's profession is a Servant. I don't have Ann in the 1841 census, so may be it's time I looked for that but honestly she'll probably be a Servant somewhere.

If the information I have on Joseph is correct, he was 38 when he married. So I can see Ann fitting in the gap of William and Mary Mumford

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 April 24 20:26 BST (UK) »
Slow progress here..

The William Mumford we're currently looking is the same one featured in the Leamington Spa Courier - 6th April 1844, confirming he had been a farmer at Park Corner "for some years, at the rent of £80".

Park Corner is just south of Temple Balsall, likely where Park Corner Nurseries, Temple Ln, Solihull B93 0AW is now. Likely called 'Park Corner' as it once was the corner of the 'Park' owned by Chadwick Manor.

Distance between Park Corner and Meer End is roughly 3.7 miles (where W Mumford and J Lowe were living in the 1851 census) - remembering the marriage was in 1850.