Author Topic: Westoe Village, South Shields, Co. Durham  (Read 723 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Westoe Village, South Shields, Co. Durham
« on: Thursday 12 May 22 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello rootschatters, I'm hoping someone has the knowledge or can put me in the right direction. Westoe village in South Shields is in actual fact a street in the Westoe suburb of South Shields. A few of my direct Thompson family lived in this street as recorded in the 1851, 61 and 71 census. On all the original census sheets no house numbers are recorded and I assume they were large houses housing various families in rooms. I am aware that house numbering did not take place until the 1850's. Looking through the records the main occupation of the males were labourers.
Having walked along the street a few years ago all the houses are of 'grand proportions" and a few of them have built dates of the 1890's. So was this a slum area which was habitated by the working class with the houses demolished and replaced late 19th centurary.
If anyone has information about what these houses were I would be grateful.
Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westoe Village, South Shields, Co. Durham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 22 14:04 BST (UK) »

I could be wrong, but in my own research around South Shields I understood "Westoe Village" to refer to the area around the original village centre which existed prior to urban sprawl, rather than a specific street.  This is primarily from the context of use where you'd expect the name of a parish/village to be given rather than the street name.

I'd assumed that the street now known as "Westoe Village" was in effect the historic main street in the village, and at some point in time was named that as the original name (if there was one) was no longer relevant.  I know of some other examples where the street name and development pattern over time follows the same concepts.

Therefore it is possible that the references you are seeing to "Westoe Village" might be in the wider area rather than specifically this street?

Given the historic nature of the street I would expect the 'original' buildings would have been replaced multiple times over the years as they became derelict or no longer needed.  Therefore rather than clearance of slums, it may be more a case of 1890's replacement of existing buildings as the nature of the street changed and the older buildings decayed... much the same as any other high street over time.

However I'd also be interested if anyone has any definite answers....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 22 15:31 BST (UK) »
Paul, could you please give the census references in which you find your Thompson ancestors living in a street called Westoe Village?

In common with Nick I believe what you are seeing in those censuses is simply a place-name, i.e. the village of Westoe, not a street name.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 22 16:14 BST (UK) »

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to a 'side by side' map which shows on the right the location of the street now known as Westoe Village, and on the left a late 19th century map.

I don't think you should assume that what was described as 'Westoe Village' in the censuses you mention necessarily coincides exactly with the street of the name today.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=54.98701&lon=-1.42158&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 May 22 09:58 BST (UK) »
Earlier post, same subject
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757307.msg6073358#msg6073358
Hi Jen B, oh dear old age is not kind to me. I have no recollection of posting virtually the same question 6 years ago!!!. Normally I copy the question and paste the answers for my reference, however missed this one. Many thanks for reminding me. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 May 22 10:07 BST (UK) »
Earlier post, same subject
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757307.msg6073358#msg6073358
Hi Jen B, oh dear old age is not kind to me. I have no recollection of posting virtually the same question 6 years ago!!!. Normally I copy the question and paste the answers for my reference, however missed this one. Many thanks for reminding me. Paul

Don't worry about it Paul, I suspect I'm a lot younger, and often have trouble remembering what I did on my family history last week.  ;)

I didn't see your post first time round, and the 'refresher' has been interesting and useful to me.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 May 22 10:32 BST (UK) »
Paul, could you please give the census references in which you find your Thompson ancestors living in a street called Westoe Village?

In common with Nick I believe what you are seeing in those censuses is simply a place-name, i.e. the village of Westoe, not a street name.
I have attached copies of the census forms that I have records of, showing the Thompson families.
1861 attached
Will send a couple more
Many thanks, Paul

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 May 22 10:35 BST (UK) »

I have attached copies of the census forms that I have records of, showing the Thompson families.
1861 attached
Will send a couple more
Many thanks, Paul
2nd census